Tuesday, June 13, 2006

The Edge or The End?

Well today will be a pivotable point in training for Florida. On the projected hottest day of the year, 111 degrees, which means it will probably be hotter, I am scheduled for a nooner 90 minute run. I am running one lap of the Ironman Arizona course.

I will hydrate all morning long and get in some extra calories for sure. I have planned out water points along the course so that I am never less than 8 oz's in the bottle. When running in the heat I normally follow two philosophy's; run slow and run less. I am planning on a slow start and progressing into a pace one minute slower than average. This would take me only around eight miles instead of my usual 9.5-10 miles in ninety minutes.

Will the heat cripple me again or will my body adapt to the forces against it?

Will my hamstring provide the necessary propulsion to get me through?

Stay tuned, I will post the results later this afternoon.

6 comments:

Bolder said...

wouldn't someone who owns a health club think it's a good idea to run inside?

(high of 96F yesterday, and apparently on track to break a record here today... and, i am feeling it too, like the marrow has been sapped out of my body)

Nancy Toby said...

What's the sodium/potassium plan along with that water? If you overhydrate (even with sports drink) in advance of your run, you may get yourself into a position where you're already low in sodium when you start. Something to think about!

Is running in 111*F a deliberate plan for heat acclimatization?

How's it working?

Hope it went well!!

Kona Shelley said...

Why are you running outside in that heat..do you think IMFLA will be that hot?? Well it won't!! I have been running indoors on a treadmill all winter/spring. It's caused me to have NO injuries and i'm positive I should get through my next IM fine...you work at a gym right..run inside..why kill yourself?? Just my $.02...

Cliff said...

that's hot Commodore, take care yourself.

Steven said...

Don't just drink plain water if you actually run in those conditions. It will not be enough.

I'd run indoors if it were me, Comm. IMFL will NOT be like that so why train like that?

Best of luck to you, however, if you do brave the elements and get it done.

Comm's said...

I haven't run yet nancy, within the hour. I wish I had remembered about the sodium/potassium issue before I left the house. Stupid mistake. I don't think I have back up which means going to the store to buy a new bottle or mooching some samples. Usually I have back ups on me, but I haven't transferred stuff from my truck to my new car yet, still living out of necessity right now.

Running in extreme heat is not the best plan to acclimitize but it is a plan. I also rarely use a/c, instead using the 75/4 rule. 75 mph and 4 windows down.

Thats why I love you so much, you always ask the right questions.