Friday, June 23, 2006

Is Polite dead- Follow up

As I read and pondered all the great responses to yesterdays non-tri post I was compeled to read the Golden Rule, even before it was mentioned in a comment by Kewl Nitrox.

The Golden Rule can be explained many ways and be related to several religions and secular good wills but maybe most sucinctly described as, "Do unto others like you would like done onto you."

I read a particularly good version of this in a contemporary language edition of the good book, "Ask yourself what you want people to do for you, then grab the initiative and do it for them." I am going to use a double negative here, but I think the GR is not about NOT doing something to someone (like don't flip them off when they cut you off on the road) but doing something nice for everyone, (like leaving enough room for people to move into your lane).

Many talkbackers set on the same theme which can be summed up as; Surrender to your principles not your atittude. Atittude determines reaction; have a bad atittude and give bad reactions. Have a good atittude and regardless of others reactions, you know your right with yourself.

So thank you for your kind remarks. It gave me much to think about. Who knew that I had a little Southern hospitality in me, since my only foray into the South was a stint at Ft. Benning, Georgia.

So I suppose "Mean people do suck...but I don't care."

2 comments:

mipper said...

oh honey... you don't have be southern bred to be southern kind. trust me, one of the appeals of military men is the "ma'am". i didn't date many military guys when i was young (they were afraid to date an officer's daughter) but the ones i did were by far the most polite (at least around me... i knew a few who were too bragadocious in front of buddies, but i know they had to be).

and it is so sad, but i swoon at pet names. this is the southern belle side of me. i really see it as a sign of respect and kindness (when paired with the correct tone).

i love this post today Comm. i like the spin on the Golden Rule you gave of taking the initiative to do something for others, rather than not doing anything bad or rude. that is a very fresh light and it has given me pause to ponder.

i love these kinds of posts.

Skinny said...

Very timely posts for my life this week.. I just keep reminding myself that their response doesn't matter as much as my action/reaction - I don't have to live with them, just me.

Thanks for the great post, darlin.