Monday, June 26, 2006

As If you didn't think...

Of course when my options are go without or buy a new Shiny Thing; I buy a new Shiny Thing!

Thus you will see by the picture that I purchased a new third string watch, the Timex Ironman O.V.A. (Optimum Viewing Angle). The watch is identical in use as the eight year old Ironman watch that bust yesterday except that instead of 100 laps, its only 75. For some reason that mattered to me.

The OVA is a different kind of watch in that it sits on the side of the hand instead of on top. It is immediately apparent that this viewing angle is much easier to see when driving around town. In correlation, it would be great on the bike in aero and needless to say 'optimum' when running.

By putting the view face on the inside of the wrist instead of the top, it supports a neutral alignment between clock and eyes. Yes I know its soooooo hard to twist my wrist a quarter turn to look at my watch like I have done for the last twenty years, but in just the last few hours I really have noticed a difference.

Surprisingly, it feels very natural on the wrist, not like if you took your current digital watch twisted it.

One thing I will say is that with the face on the inside, it has made putting my hand in my pocket a little strange. I have to drop my wrist a little bit to fit it in.

Hopefully one of my Polars will get back into my life soon. I really do miss them.

4 comments:

Nancy Toby said...

Oooh, nice! As it just so happens my old Timex Ironman Flix watch's band just gave out, so I need a new one....

Ellie Hamilton said...

I like that! I wear my 100-lap Ironman in normal position on my left wrist; Polar HRM thingie on my right with the face on the inside. It's easier to turn my wrist that way and I look at the HRM a lot. Wish they made sideways ones like your new watch!(At least in my price range...)

mipper said...

i've wondered about those. i saw one once and thought it would feel wonky, being to the side like that. interesting...

see, i have no fancy timing thingies for workouts... and my birthday is coming up....

time to drop hints to the man, i suppose.

but then again... i think i'd rather have a diamond. ;)

tarheeltri said...

Great watch!