Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Done and Done

Done with the run in the heat, 109 degrees, and it went okay. I ate well and waited so it wouldn't give me any stomach issues. I hydrated well. Nancy reminded me to have proper electrolyte replacement, which I didn't have so I had to run up to Tribe and bum some Endurolytes.

The first half of the run was clockwork. Started at a pace that seemed really slow, then built to a 45-60 second slower pace than normal. At 33 minutes I stopped and fished out three of the tabs and washed them down with three big swigs of water.

I kept going and felt good. The heat was having no part of me today and each additional minute was good acclimitizing training. At 45 minutes I stopped to switch over my iPod playlist and I did half a dry heave. What? Where did that come from? System diagnostic: Sweating? Check. Head feel okay? Check. Stomach/GI distress? No. Hamstring and legs feel okay? Check. So what was that?

I start running again and at 55 minutes I slowed to a walk not becuase I had to but to refill my water and toss the backup plastic bottle in the garbage. I puked. What? What is the contents? Its my endurolytes. But I take these all the time, why would my stomach not process three tabs?

Well whatever was the cause, I felt no different before or after the upheaval. It was just an event. I finished the run and have made some conclusions.

Conclusion One: No heat injury's today.

Conclusion Two: Hamstring felt good.

Conclusion Three: I need to do this exact same run tomorrow with the same circumstances and this time take one less tab at same spot and see what happens. Same results and I will switch to a different sodium/pottasium supplement?

4 comments:

IMmike said...

hey commodore,

thanks for the comment on my blog. I think you're right. lots of time it's easy to forget that.

TriBoomer a.k.a. Brian said...

It's been said nutrition is the fourth event in triathlon. Thanks for showing us an example how to get it nailed down.

Stay tuned...

Kewl Nitrox said...

Way to keep going despite the "upheaval". You are one focused dude!

Bridget said...

I cannot believe you are doing a noon run in that heat. You are crazy! That said, I am glad you are doing such a good job getting your nutrition nailed down. I think it is totally normal for your body to struggle digesting when it is so freakin' hot. Make sure you are wearing plenty of sunscreen!