Sunday, June 11, 2006

Another swim, Another Boat, Another Beer

I was actually having good swim today out at the lake. My volume the whole week was pretty high after a miserable life in May, as a consequence I was pretty worn down before I even got into the water. I also pulled out the laser range finder and remeasured the course 1, 690 meters right on the nose for two laps. Almost exactly 1.1 miles which is half-iron distance.

As I came under the bridge and back into the bay, I stopped and sighted Hardcore who is having some sinus issues and swimming slow. Started talking to a guy 50 yards away on his boat and he invited me on the boat for a beer.

Did someone say beer?

I train for beer and I race for beer. Oh common you judgemental types. Who hasn't wished for an ice cold beer at the finish line of a race or after a hard workout in the summer heat? Well our team brings a chest of ice cold ones to both, a benefit of being a member of AzTriClub. So I stroked over, asked permission to come aboard and spent a few minutes making new friends while having half a Miller Lite.

For those that don't recall, this is not new here at CMS, here is the link for just a few months ago. Again John and Hardcore swam by and again I stood at the fantail and gave them the beer salute.

After the swim we bricked a 7.5 mile round trip run into Tortilla Flats, a six resident town deep in the mountains. A great little place to go. Here is pretty much the entire town. Damn Blogger won't let me paste it in. 1,000's of people each weekend will drive to or through this small town which can make running along the none exsistant edge of the winding canyon road a bit precarious.

I felt good going into town, the hard part since the road is mostly uphill, but I hit a hard wall getting back. I have lots of reasons (excuses) I can give for why I bonked with a capital 'B', surfice it say I went through two levels of heat stress to a place I have been before and realized I had to shut the motor off. I walked (limped) a staggering line back towards the car. Hardcore ran ahead and gave John a heads up to come get me. I made it within eye sight of the parking area when I saw the Charger coming towards me.

We all went down into Tortilla Flats and had lunch. I had Lemonade and a fruit salad. While Mistress calls that a perfect meal, I wished I had the energy to have a beer and a burger like pretty much everyone else.

Tonight is steak. And advil. And gatorade endurance.

3 comments:

Cliff said...

no energy for burger and beer..u must be really tired.

Don't talk to me about beer..i am on a no ice cream, no beer, no chocolate diet until sometime in July when I finish my A race.... :)

Papa Tweet said...

Sounds like you might need to take it easy for a couple of days. Between the "Bonk" and your recent bike issues, I'd say you deserved that beer. So, why did you only drink half? You don't seem like a half a beer kind of a guy. Just wondering.
Benny

Comm's said...

I only drank half because I had to finish the wokout and people were starting to transition to the run.