Friday, December 8, 2006

A great website

I was talking with a friend who asked if I was a member of athlinks.com. His buddy here in town created it.

I had never heard of it. Boy what a cool site, I became a member right away, its free. Chances are you too are already listed on it too. It is an athlete search engine that collects all your races and times on one page. Then any person that has been in three races with you and also an athlinks member gets listed as a 'rival' so you can see who they are. You can also list people as your friends. I was amazed to see Nancy right on the front page of the website and she helped me with some newbie stuff and became my first 'friend' on the site. Thanks Nancy.

Its a snap to enroll with the only complication (perhaps) is if you have a very common name and need to sort through hundreds of the same name to find all your races listed. Names also have ages and hometowns listed so its not that bad. But my name was listed eight times and I have a unique name. In fact for Ironman Florida, I was listed as FL as my hometown.

Please check this out.

4 comments:

SingletrackJenny (formerly known as IronJenny) said...

Comm - I registered, too, but am missing a bunch of races, and show a bunch I never did. I do have a common name, though and sometimes register as Jennifer; sometimes as Jenny - I wish we could back up and adjust who we "are".

the Dread Pirate Rackham said...

comms - fix that link!

I guess I'll see you in January - I hear you're volunteering for R&R! Sweet!

PuddyRat said...

I've seen this website before and registered, but I can't say that I care for the site. Their database is incomplete or, at least, convoluted. I do NOT have a common name, but I'm listed 7 times with different ages and home towns. While my age has changed over the years (that's a duh!), my home town has not. Plus, when I try to claim a race and add it to my profile or race line-up, it doesn't appear.

I think it's a great idea, but it needs a little more work. I'm hopeful it will start to work a little better in the not too distant future. I love having all my race results collected like that, complete with "friends" (some of whom I don't know, yet they are confirmed--how'd that happen?) and "rivals."

Athlinks said...

Hey guys - to answer a few questions from above:

We (Athlinks) inherit the state that the race was run unless it is given in the official results (which is pretty rare) so that we can keep profiles segregated until you register and claim them. Although you may not think that yours is a common name, you would be amazed to see how often seemingly rare names are duplicated around the world.

As for ages, the differences in ages generally comes from the race director using age groups only as opposed to your actual age. So, if you are 20 and the RD gives only age groups, we take the oldest possible value (24) and use that.

We're working everyday adding and fixing features. We have added about 2 million individual results since your original post (Dec 8), so I'm sure that our coverage has improved significantly.