Tuesday, December 5, 2006

Deadlines

I don't talk about work much online, the nuts and bolts that is. Don't really want to, I do that enough IRL. But I was dreading a meeting today and I rehearsed my spiel all last night and today and I really thought for some reason I was going to get clobbered. It was all for nothing.

However I was not lost on this guilt that I have. Fear or failure. Afraid that I have or had let my partners down. It makes you think about business mortality. We are not a self pity group of individuals. We liken ourselves more to a high powered NFL coaching team. Want to see pressure? Try watching an NFL coach on the sidelines this weekend. It is not uncommon for us to have our moments of weakness, our day of genuflection. We get about five minutes to do that before we either get a foot up our ass or hardcore grilling.

Really if you think about it, the times of your best success, (at least in my case) have been when I was applied the most pressure. No one likes being told what to do but the fact is many times its doing those things you don't want to do, but must do because your told, that are the best for your career.

I live in a high pressured world. I am not happy with a lot of things in my life but most successful people are not satisfied on a regular basis. Hunger can keep you focused and sharp. I think my fear was that I had lost my timing and screwing things up on the rest of the team that depends on me.

Maybe I have. Maybe I did. But the meeting rekindled what fire I had in me for work.

1 comment:

Dances with Corgis said...

This is a great post. I really like your blog, great writing! Good luck with training :)