Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Called on account of weather...in Phoenix? What?

Last Saturday I got up at zero-four, the first time since Ironman for training. In fact I got up later for Ironman, which makes me want to rethink all this early morning training stuff. Anyway I was I was running behind because I had to wait for my windows to de-ice because it had rained most of the previous day. I mentioned that during my 15 mile run post.

I was almost to the turn off on the freeway when I got a call from Glen, he says he is canceling the ride due to fog. Also that Andy had road around the corner from his house and almost rode into him the fog was so thick.

What?

I told him it was okay where I was at...and then a second later I see the semi-truck 100 yards ahead jack knife on the freeway. I then was completely enveloped in a dark deep fog. Driving to the guys was an experience and a road I have driven, ridden and run dozens of times was now foreign to me. There is no way we could safety negotiate any obstacles in the road let alone blinded drivers. I could have a car headlight on my bike and it wouldn't make a difference.

When we finally hooked up I decided we should go eat and hit the local Denny's. It didn't clear up for several more hours and I didn't get the 3 hour ride in but it was still an experience and I got a free breakfast out of it.

Thanks Glen.

3 comments:

Nytro said...

wow... fog is some scary stuff. glad you're okay. in utah, we call training off on account of me being a lazy ass.

TriBoomer a.k.a. Brian said...

Don't sweat the non-riding day. Relax for now and kick butt the next time.

Stay tuned...

Vickie said...

Better to have played it safe than be sorry. You can always make up for a missed ride, but you can't make up for lost time due to recovery, or worse yet.