Thursday, December 28, 2006

Back in the deep seat

Well working until the bars close had one affect on me, my back is killing me. It was already tight but double digit straight hours of sitting on my ass in an office chair has left me decidedly worse for wear.

I should know better and walk around every hour to stretch out. For crying out loud I have a whole gym outside my door. Does anyone else find that their office chair has a vortex that warps time? I swear I can go four or five hours without even standing.

One of my partners is very ill so I am going to guess that my efforts last night did not go to total waste, all the time I carved out today will go to cover typing meeting notes for my partners tomorrow. Raising my hand ten years ago when asked, "Does anyone know how to type" has not increased my time management.

My boss and partner is a Luddite of sorts and don't think has ever used a computer. He has no e-mail address, pc on his desk, etc. A cell phone is his technology accelerator. The majority of his work is done on yellow pads. So I get the twenty pages of handwritten notes and asked to get them done as soon as possible which generally translates to a couple hours.

I don't mind much. I have a vital role to play and occasionally it involves the impossible being made possible. Which is why I am an asset to my partners. I am the McGuyver of my peer group.

Of course, knowing where the 'any' key is on the keyboard is crucial.

5 comments:

Flatman said...

Got duct tape? (mcguyver)

bunnygirl said...

Ah, yes... the chair vortex! Is it an ergonomic chair with lumbar support? Proper fit helps, just like on a bike. But ultimately, yes, we need to get up and move around from time to time. Good advice, as always!

Wendy said...

My orthopaedist is of the considered opinion that nobody should sit longer than 20 minutes at a time.

I don't have good time sense, so my OT had me get a kitchen timer that clips onto my belt or stands on a flat surface. It reminds me to stop and take a break.

Vickie said...

Yes, I find myself sitting for endless hours also, sometimes hunched over, until I try to stand up and realize my legs don't work anymore. I say the same thing, that I need to walk around every hour at least, and when I am up more often, it does help. Its just a matter of doing it. I too have a boss who relies on the yellow pad, and find myself typing endless notes, briefs, etc. In fact, I have one waiting for me right now. (Bleh!)

Nancy Toby said...

Hmm, this sounds like another good use of the countdown timer on the old Timex! I use it for 10-minute counts for stretches when I ride my bike, I should use it for computer time also!

Thanks for the idea!!!