Friday, December 22, 2006

Boot Camp peak

There is a certain amount of confidence one gains when you get up and just decide to go run 15 miles. I hadn't run half that distance at any one time since Ironman. Thats pretty freaking cool! Wooh-Hooh!

Last night I called ironjenny. That woman is so freaking motivating. Every conversation we have is uplifting. She is a bell that rings true in my life and we have only known each other for such a short time. After getting off the phone with her I decided to run PF Changs full course and got up this morning to see what was there in the legs.

I have planned on volunteering at Chang's and got connected as a cyclist volunteer for the wheelchair division but apparently there is a pecking order and I am first on the waiting list. I really don't want to just stand around and then find out that I missed the opportunity to volunteer or do the race so I am covering both bets.

After my first five mile loop today (IMAZ course otherwise known as Tempe Town Lake) I shuck one of the three base layer shirts I have on under my running jacket and then my gloves. The sun was breaking, I was getting warmed up, it felt like the right then to do.

Wrong. It started to rain. Hard. Its the first time we have had measurable rain since early October. I'm talking Columbus Day people! What were you doing then? Thats right you can't remember but I know this, it hasn't rained here since then.

I did the last five miles getting wetter and colder but at the same time exhilarated that I was doing something I love to do and doing it well. I kept a very steady 10 minute pace the entire time and felt no need to walk.

Boot Camp concludes with a 3'30" ride and a 50" run tomorrow morning starting at 0500. It should be around freezing. (channeling Phoebe from Friends) I KNOW!

7 comments:

SingletrackJenny (formerly known as IronJenny) said...

"America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad ass speed."

-- Eleanor Roosevelt, 1949

TriBoomer a.k.a. Brian said...

Good luck in the Chang!

Stay tuned...

Bolder said...

hopefully, you were warming up that course for us on the 14th!

don't give me cold Arizona!!

Florida already f'ed me over!!!

I'LL GO POSTAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

greyhound said...

Channel R. Lee Ermey instead.

OORAH! THAT'S THE WAY YOU MOVE, YOU DEVIL DOG!

tri-mama said...

Nice run! Iron Jenny will do that for you-she's our local team's cheerleader. With so many of the bloggers coming out for the Chang's run it's tempting not to jump in the ring......

Have a very Merry Christmas!

Brent Buckner said...

Nice run.

Happy Boxing Day!

Iron Pol said...

I've been there in the "Wow, I'm getting hot" runs. The worst was an early spring run. After the first 10 mile loop I ditched the warmer layers (sweats, long sleeve shirt, gloves). On the second loop, I experienced - rain, hail, snow. Twice.

And isn't it great to be able to run 15 miles on a whim?