Monday, December 4, 2006

Drama Queen?

After my lamenting of my poor training and health week, I was unaware the worst was to come. On Saturday morning while fixing some Christmas displays in the yard, I felt like someone knifed me in the back.

I stood up and let the spasm pass. That took about five minutes. Then I figured I would just tie off the one wire I was working on and go ice. Just as I was finishing, it felt like I got shot in the back.

As I stared at the sky and remarked at how cool the rocks felt on my back, I realized I did not voluntarily lie down. It took me twenty agonizing minutes to shuffle into the house, take two pain killers, grab an ice bag and lay down. I pretty much stayed there for the next ten hours. And all the next day.

This morning I drove over to The Machines office for a twenty minute massage, electrical stimulation (e-stem) and some adjusting. Not everything adjusted.

The week is not starting strong for the Intrepid Age Grouper.

This is not the first time my back has gone out but the first time in a long time. I actually think the triathlon training and especially the running has protected my body and with my recovery period post-Ironman I was not giving my body the minimum conditioning it needed to stave off a relapse.

NEVER AGAIN

8 comments:

Bolder said...

my vote is for Drama Queen.

hey, you asked!

i'm thinking similarly, maybe triathlon training was protecting my body?

bunnygirl said...

Wow, sounds awful. Want some of my kinesio tape? ;-)

SingletrackJenny (formerly known as IronJenny) said...

So you fainted??? felt like a knife in the back? could that be pneumonia?
I'm starting to think you guys have mold in your house or something... something's not right...
Jenny

the Dread Pirate Rackham said...

you too? geez - everybody is just falling apart these days!

Iron Pol said...

I'd go with the "training is protecting you" concept, as well. When I left the Navy, I had an absolutely wrecked back, a hiatal hernia, and pack-a-day Tums habit.

Oh, and an extra 60 pounds.

Now, I almost never get heartburn (despite the hiatal hernia), and haven't had a significant back problem in several years (knock on head, I mean wood).

Perhaps all those experts who recommend a significant "off season" after a major race aren't completely off their rockers...

mipper said...

sounds like a kidney stone. keep an eye on that.

Bolder said...

dude, thanks for the package.

send me that hotel info, i'm gonna book somethin' up... i need to understand a '9' now firsthand.

Wendy said...

Phooey!! Or other more colorful words to that effect.