Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Gear Review: Guyot Design Firefly lamp.




Yeah you can steal this


I want to give you all a tip for a great Christmas present for the outdoor lover in your life or to recapture a bit of your own past. This product came out a few months ago and I have bought one for myself and all my fishing/ camping partners for Christmas.



Everyone has the plastic wide mouthed nalogene bottle. The firefly lamp by Guyot design replaces the plastic lid with an ingenious LED lamp that transforms just a water bottle to a very capable and functional light source.

The lamp is set into a waterproof casing inside the lid and the lid is attached to the bottle by a cord locked onto the bottle neck.

Using a simple orange button you can turn on or turn off the lamp. By holding the button down you can dim the light source to fit your illumination desires. I have used this as a community lamp out at the lake when we would all sit around after sunset drinking beer and swapping stories. I have also used this as a reading light on my nightstand at its lowest dimming and Mistress appreciated not having such a glare on her.

Perhaps an unintended consequence but a beautiful effect is that the white LED puts out a glow that is based on the color of your nalogene bottle. I prefer my bright yellow bottle over my others but now looking at these screen shots I might try to find myself a blue bottle. It really does look like you have firefly's in a bottle however with this lamp water does not affect the brilliance of the light output as opposed to if you used real firefly's.

Its a great talk piece. For those loved ones that still get outside for camping this lamp makes not only a great camp light but a great tent light as well. Hang it from the top of the tent and you can read or do whatever you need to do. If you keep it on the ground the familiar size and shape of the nalogene bottle makes for a quick find in the middle of the night. During the day you can clip it to the outside of your pack and drink from the bottle and have the light available right away if you get to camp late.

For those of us that don't get out as often as we like but still love the camping mentality, putting this out makes you feel a little bit closer to the outdoors, even if your outdoors is your backyard.

$20 at REI, Google it or perhaps your local big outdoor retailer. Bottle generally not included.

3 comments:

Laurie said...

So cool. Thank you for sharing.

I have just the person I can give that to.

Andy said...

That is friggin awsome! My girlfriend and I are both REI members, so I can definately see one (or both) of us getting that! BTW, I am "back from the dead!" I have not really gotten back to speed on posting, but I am getting there.

Definately feel you on the weight fluctuations between full training, taper, event, and then recovery before your next training period.

I also need to get my calendar set up so that I can get on my "horse" for next year's season, I am soooo behind.

Murtha...

Fe-lady said...

What a cool idea...would use it IF I was still a willing camper!