Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Whats my motivation...

No not that motivation, come on, who am I trying to kid here. Actually I just don't have much to write about. Its that limbo before a big event where you got lots to do and think about but can't put to paper or speech.

I was able to get out of a four hour meeting Tuesday by setting up my partners new iPod nano on his office computer. Did you know you can download music from your iPod into iTunes? I loaded iTunes onto my partners system then transferred all his music from his mini into iTunes then downloaded it back into his new nano. That's good to know if you ever crash your computer or get a new one.

Even though this is just a sprint coming up, I got the jitters. Its hard to explain right now, but its that jazzed, excited, nervous feeling. Its not like its my first triathlon, but it feels like it, every one I enter feels like it. Running races do it too. I used to think I would get past it on my 50th or 60th 5k, but nope, I still get the jitters a few days before I toe that line. I guess its that feeling that lets you know that you still love doing something, that it never gets old.

I really wish I could have run my 19 yesterday as my body's training cycle is conditioned to do longer runs on Tuesday. I think right now I may actually enjoy the training more than the racing. Especially now when earlier in the year I raced so much that it was all just taper, race, recovery, fill in appropriate training block, taper, race, recovery, repeat. I have not had a race since July which just blew up in my face and I realized I was way over raced and physically extended.

that's why I cancelled everything for the rest of the year. I was having better success and getting more motivation from the simple act of going long for the purpose of my long term goal rather than cramming in training before a series of two or three races a month.

I would love to think that my base is big enough to blow the doors off a sprint. As much as I meditate to control that ego-dreamer side of me, competition feeds my Fever. I can take nothing for granted though. Nothing. I am a Grinder. I am not pretty. I am not gifted. I will usually be out there longer than everyone else grinding it out, because that's what Grinders do.

But...I still do it.

And that's the beauty of triathlon. I have seen better athletes finish behind me. I have seen people that I could not believe were there racing, blow my doors off. The tie that binds is that we all still do it. No matter the ability, the training, the physique or figure. We had the guts to spend the time in training, making the sacrifices, and toe that line.

This may be a first triathlon for me in some respects. I will know more triathletes at this race than any other. I will be wearing team colors. Mistress and Mighty Mo will show up to see me race, which he has never done before.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone and be thankful that you have the ability to swim, bike, run and love.

CAN

10 comments:

Cliff said...

Must be great to have your family see u race. I was excited when my cousin, sis and dad come and see me finish at my marathon last month.

There is a part of me that likes the jitters. I still remember my first (and only) triathlon event. And I want to treat every of my future race like it is my first race.

Phil said...

Lucky! It's been far too long since my last tri (3 full months). The best part about having the family is the cheers they give you in T1 and T2.

Have a great race. Enjoy yourself.

Oldman said...

wow your comment "I think I love training more than racing" says alot about your motivation. keep your eyes on the A race and don't sweat the others.

Have a Happy Turkey Day!

Bolder said...

thanks for the tip on the nano... do you ever run out of tips for us?... i'm gonna try that...

CAN

WILL

ROCK THAT TRI!

Kewl Nitrox said...

"The tie that binds is that we all still do it. No matter the ability, the training, the physique or figure."

Well said! And thanks for being kind to us "wannabe" Sprint Triathletes. ;)

Kewl Nitrox said...

"The tie that binds is that we all still do it. No matter the ability, the training, the physique or figure."

Well said! And thanks for being kind to us "wannabe" Sprint Triathletes. ;)

stronger said...

I read several of your posts in one sitting- I don't know you but I know you are a good person.

Thanks for stopping by my blog- Maybe I can learn more signs from your kid so I can teach my kid more than "more".

Flo said...

Good luck on the tri - you will rock!!! Have a great Turkey Day...

jp said...

Great post....speaks to the 'why' that I have a hard time articulating for people when they ask why I love triathlon.

Good luck in the race.

And thanks for the link to Team Hoyt's site. Just thinking of their story brings tears to my eyes and strength to my heart.

Wil said...

I'm so late getting to this game, and I know you did a great job. Going to go and read the latest post to find out the specifics - thanks for the perspective!