Saturday, November 26, 2005

To the Conquering...

Thanksgiving is one of the those holidays seeped in traditions; grandmas old fashioned pie crust handed down through the years, aunt Sarah's stuffing, you get the point.

So I applaud all of you that got out and particiapted in a race in the last few days. How many of you did a race for the first time over Thanksgiving? Make yourself known so you can be recognized for your defeat of Common Man Syndrome.

For those of you overloaded with family and travel there is still plenty of glory to go around. If you did the cooking were you more conscious of the ingrediants and tried healthly alternatives? I remember one unsuccessful year we tried to switch out the salt with no-salt since we had some people with dietary restrictions, and that recieved a resounding, "How dare you." When you ate, did you consciously ignore the CMS in your head saying, "Today I pig out and get stuffed", and actually left the table feeling good?

The glory is in the details. 70% of the American population does not exercise on a regular basis. 75% of the population has tried at least one diet in their lifetime. I think at one time or for a long time, all of us have been afflicted with Common Man Syndrome.

I call people afflicted with CMS (which is not just applicable to exercise) as 'Commoners'. The goal for someone looking to defeat CMS would then entail becoming known in their social group as 'Uncommon.' Its not derogatory at all to call someone a Commoner. Call it like you see it. Trust me they are not happy with how they are, being unhappy is one of the greatest causes of Common Man Syndrome.

I define CMS as an action (like planning on a workout but instead watching television) or a collection of thoughts and actions (like a sustained and unnneeded break from active pursuits of physical, mental or spiritual vitality) that lead to a lazy and uninspired life.

I challenge all of you, as I challenge myself, to everyday find a way to defeat the CMS inside of us. It is as simple as getting off the couch. Its as difficult as not putting another scoop of food on your plate. Its as puzzling as finding the spark in a plateaued relationship.

Commoners are people that are happy with their unchallenged lives. Happy being miserable. They want more money but don't look for a better paying job. They want to lose weight or change their physical appearance but continue to sabatage their results by hanging around people that don't want them too. They are comfortable and don't want to change themselves because they think it is too difficult. Well it is, but too those who succeed the rewards are 10 times 10 worth every bit of the sacrifice.

Another question: If you have been dedicated to an exercise program, indoor or outdoor, and have had some success measured by weight loss and inch loss, has someone tried to openly tempt you to break your routine? "Here eat a doughnut, have a beer, don't go for a run sit here and watch the game, sleep in you don't need to do that, what are you nuts?" Any and all of those statements create a defeatist mentality. The person speaking is jealous of your success and wants to see you fail, because when you do, its like they have achieved a victory. The same euphoria you get finishing a 5k or a sprint tri or marathon or greater, they get the same feeling by seeing you fail. And it legitimizes their own failings. Far be it that someone gets into shape, finds the Lord, reaches a deeper relationship with their spouse and becomes a happier person for it.

Even the nightly news would rather show you the negatives in your region rather than the successes. When was the last time you watched the first ten minutes of a news program and thought, "Yeah that was refreshing, what a great city I live in." Because people want to see the negative and talk about the negative because they relate with the negative. You know what I want to relate too? Success. You don't get rich hanging around loafers. You don't become a better swimmer by being around people who don't swim.

Ever see a couple that have been together a long time and yearn to have the same interactions with your own spouse? That is you suffering from CMS in part of your life. That can be you happy too.

So again, as I do every so often, commit yourselves to not being Common any longer. You were Common before and not happy. You have decided on a path of life that will deliver to you things that you never dreamed of. Defeat Common Man Syndrome, be the catalyst in someone elses life as you enrich your own.

14 comments:

IMmike said...

Commodore,

Great post. Especially around this time of year. I've thought alot lately about how society reinforces mediocrity by imposing a series of less-than desirable norms on us, its members. At the same time, look how many societal ails there are, drugs, suicide, etc.

All of us should strive to break from CMS, and you are right: it is the inspiration from others that serves as the catalyst for this.

Susan said...

Wow, inspiring post. I think about this much too . . . soon I'll be making some big decision in my life - thanks for the post.

Bolder said...

i did my first Thanksgiving Day race, but since it was my first Thanksgiving, i can only claim 1 for 1.

no one dares tempt me with food, they know the 'Wrath of Bold'.

Flo said...

This was a truly inspiring post. I did my first Turkey Trot this year. I did NOT overeat this year. I try everyday to be Uncommon and am getting a little better at it all the time and it's bloggers like you that help me along the way.

Coach Tammy said...

Usually it's my own internal voice trying to tempt me to "sleep in today", or "eat a donut"... once you can overcome that, no one outside yourself can tempt you :)

Cliff said...

My friend called me a dumbass for spending 90 bucks for a swim consultation :). I was annoy with his remark but I take it as a compliment. Normal ppl do what they do and they get what they get (which is usually nothing).

I do commit i have suffer CMS. On Thursday my Fellowship cancelled b/c of a snowstorm. I was planning to run outside. Instead i found myself sitting watching TV (I hvaen't done that in a long long time). The worst thing is I wasn't enjoying myself and I still sit there.

I have been eating more fatty foods. Burger King combo last night and tonight fish and chips with lobster dip and nachos. It is time to get back to training. There is no pleasure from CMS. At first, it feels pleasurable..but deep down it kills my motivation..

Kewl Nitrox said...

Kinda hard with the person asking you to have a beer is da boss. So what did I do? I had one beer, went home and did a brick the next day. :)

tri-mama said...

Great essay, you should send it to be published in a health magazine.

Keryn said...

As always, giving me something to think about. No races this year, but I only had enough food to fill me, not stuff me. I'm thrilled with that. Oh...and there are apparently NO turkey day races in my town. At all. Just wrong, I tell you.

Trimama is right...you should try to get published.

Comm's said...

Kewlnitrox,

I think we have all been in that situation at one time; either with alochol or food or reckless behavior. But even a boss or mentor has something to learn from a subordinate. Relationships, business or personal, are about give and take. A little descretion on your part and an explaination about why you perfer to have an orange juice over a beer, "I am sorry I can't join you in a beer but I have a 20 mile bike and a 3 mile run planned in the morning", may in the long run allow your boss to have a higher opinion of you. Imagine if your boss, at the next meeting in front of everyone says, "So kewlnitrox, how was that great workout of yours?"

But also, there is nothing wrong with a beer if you can handle it. People who fight against CMS are not saints or superheroes. We are people who live a life.

MB said...

Great post.

Ellie Hamilton said...

This is more than a "water stop"
-- this is an oasis. Thank you!

bunnygirl said...

I think a book could be written with all of our experiences in trying to break out of CMS. It's amazing to me how many people are unsupportive when you try to break out of that mold, as if by trying to be different you're passing judgement on their choices.

Thanks for this post-- I always love being asked to think!

stronger said...

Of all the posts I've read, this is my favorite.