Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Do as I say...

Well judging from some of the responses I got yesterday, most of you will be very busy over the Thanksgiving weekend with training. Thats wonderful news for me to hear.

With a little firming up of my own it looks like back to back 60 mile rides will be out this weekend.
Thursday Triathlon
Friday 19 mile run
Saturday 60 mile ride
Sunday 1.25 mile swim and run brick

Yesterday I had planned on a swim workout of 10x300 yds. Yes very basic but it would be good distance without over planning. Instead I went to the chiropractor and got adjusted since my QL-Quadratus Lumborum is tight, my right hip flexor is not firing properly and my left trap and neck are jacked up from all the left side swim breathing I do. Yes I am a neanderthal non-bilateral swimmer, flame away at me folks.

As someone who is intimate with the operations of a health club, a certified personal trainer and long time fitness advocate, I fall prey to the not "practicing what I preach" routine. I am around the inside of a gym so much, I train outside just so I don't feel like I am at work anymore. Its hard to pick up a weight when you stare at them all day, I would rather run, bike or swim.

I have about a dozen special exercises for my biomechanical weaknesses that I created or was prescribed and I don't do them daily like I should. And I know I should. Getting adjusted yesterday after a month without was a siren song leading me to get back on the program. So today along with whatever I can get in training wise, hopefully that swim workout from yesterday, I will pull out the sticks, rollers, swiss balls and therpy bands and start the routine again. I will also schedule two chiropractic adjustments a month and an afternoon at the Camelback Inn, my favorite spa in the world.

Because really folks, nothing beats the weekend of training I am planning like a shiatsu massage with a sea salt and almond oil full body rub with loofah mitt under a heat lamp, followed by a cucumber facial. Or maybe the Para-Joba Body Moisturizing treatment? Decisions, decisions.

8 comments:

Mica said...

I hear you, Comm. I spend much more time with the Chiropractor and Massage Therapist than I would like to. Those biomechanical exercises and stretches are crucial and will really help you feel better. Make them part of your routine and you won't regret it.

Bolder said...

ok, you had me right up to cucumber facial -- me eyes!

really envious about that TRI on Thursday, is it a sprint?

ZAG said...

Please Please tell me you are joking about the massage. Did your wife write the last half of the post? :)

Comm's said...

nope sorry zag.

BTW what wrong with a massage. I may be kidding about the two I listed but I gotta tell ya, spend a couple hours using a jaccuzi, steam room, dry sauna, cold plunge and then getting a sports massage. Believe me there is nothing relaxing about one of those kinds.

Papa Tweet said...

Alright Sally, I mean Commodore, a cucumber facial? What the hell is that?

I do agree though, a deep tissue massage is not relaxing. In fact, I just had one this morning to work on my hip flexor. Wow, it is pain, but it's a good pain.

Looking forward to the tri on Thursday. See you at the race bro!

ZAG said...

maybe a leg waxing to got with it

tarheeltri said...

All I can say is: Cucumber, loofah and facial are words that will never appear on my blog.

ZAG said...

Thank you tarheeltri.