Monday, November 28, 2005

Tortilla Flat run

UPDATE 6:39 pm: Having some issues with the blog after today's picture upload. I have deleted the photos completely from the post in the hopes that the sidebar frame will position itself correctly instead of dropping down. Please follow the links to see the pictures.

UPDATE 10:00 am:
Zag was kind enough to note that the photos don't show up in Explorer, I run Mozilla, so thank you. At the end of each photo description I have hyperlinked the photo so you can go straight to it if you can't see it.

This is actually a view of where we start our swim. Where you see the bluish/green 'car?' on the road is where we park and then the rock outcropping just below that is where we change into our wetsuits. The rock outcropping, bottom left, is 75 yards from the start and where we swim for a warm up before tackling the buoy's. In my sidebar, I have a picture from the bridge showing the inlet buoy which is outside frame on the lower left corner. We swim to the inlet buoy and then underneath the bridge into the canyon to the rock buoy and back for two full laps or 1.1 miles. I usually count this as 1.25 miles total, because I usually swim off the short line to the buoys and have to make corrections. For those that might remember my almost drowning episode in September, it was at just about the very tip of the bottom left as I headed back to the outcropping. Photo here

Its a nice hill going down into Tortilla Flats. Its about .80 miles. Going up was actually not as bad as I thought it would be. Photo here.


Yup, this is the whole town of Tortilla Flats.
Really what I want to illustrate is the beauty of our training area, the mountains and the water and such. Photo Here.

17 comments:

ZAG said...

Cant see the photos man...

ZAG said...

Cant see the photos man...

Steven said...

I couldn't either. On your blog or at the links.
But I'd sure like to. It sounds great!

Flatman said...

Wow...those are some great photos...I wish my training grounds were so picturesque!

Bolder said...

dude, it's a pain-in-the-ass to follow links, but in this case it was worth it... first two are outstanding!

Bolder said...

oh, by the way, somewhere between my following the links, and making a comment, the pics then magically appeared in explorer!

William said...

Me too!

Ah, I'd love to be on one of those motobikes at the restaurant. Looks like awesome riding country!

You are lucky!

Keryn said...

With such a lovely place to train, I'm really glad I don't hear you whining about the Arizona heat very often.

Just to put this in perspective...it's 25 degrees here in western Iowa with a wind chill down to 3 degrees. It's scheduled to get colder tonight with 20 mph winds (gusts up to 40 mph) and the leftover snow from Colorado. And you're still swimming outside!

Flo said...

Beautiful photos. After I followed the links the pics appeared - weird!! Arizona is really gorgeous. If we didn't move to Hawaii I was going to move to Arizona, I just love it there.

Your profile is down at the bottom like mine, what the heck is going on with blogger????

ZAG said...

WOW man, I thought everything outside California sucked. I gotta get out there for a ride. you gonna hook me up or what man?

Comm's said...

zag, IronBenny will vouch that I am a bonified training hook up out here. He and I did a 40 miler last Saturday when he was out here for a tri we both did, and his wife Nytro.

Your ever out this way, I got the route already planned.

Kewl Nitrox said...

Absolutely beautiful place! Sigh, your pictures really made me realise how much I miss Vancouver and British Columbia in general. Just ONCE, I would like to go for a run or a bike without having to dodge traffic and look at cars/turcks/buses zooming pass.

Coach Tammy said...

um, is this Pheonix? Am I going to have run up those mountains in January??? Am I?????

sigh. I should be studying anyway...

it's only fuel said...

Wow, that sky looks unreal. Nice pics, I love taking photos while training. It is definitely a welcome diversion sometimes.

Flatman said...

Check your mail...

Oldman said...

great pics... Tortilla flats not really flat? I'd love to hook up wit you some weekend for a ride.

Kona Shelley said...

whoa...those look like heaven..you are so lucky!!!