Friday, February 1, 2008

Super Bowls Green Scheme


The secret sponsor for the live marketing event is AMP energy drink. Ironic considering I have never drank this style of energy drink in my life. Yup. I've never drank a redbull, rockstar, monster, amp, redline, whatever else is out there. Nope. Not once.

The concept is that Trek beach cruiser type bikes, quite comfy, are hooked up to trainers which in turn have been turned into generators. The power generated by the cyclists goes into batteries which when piled up over the next few days will power 30 minutes of the pre-game show in conjunction with the period AMP energy (owned by Pepsi) has sponsored for the event. I think it will be around 90 minutes prior to kick off.

I am usually a bit skeptical of these things, like does our actions power the DJ set up and the mikes and the lights while we ride? They did. In fact when we all stopped, the entire tent powered down to darkness. Cool. So theoretically the event is power positive in its offset for the goal.

Among the group I was in for two hours were; my friend/training partner Andy, (Ironman), a Cat-3 cyclist who had already done 6 hours that day and two obvious cyclists behind us. We kept trying to see who could get the most amps out of our systems. (They had little digital displays that showed the amps generated by the pedaling). All of us got to eight amps, some a bit higher. We were told that our group for the two hours had the highest combined battery upload of any group that day.

What was kind of cool is that there was this massive bank of batteries in the bank and each group had a Red Digital Readout (RDR) that showed totals amps being uploaded. The more juice going in the brighter the green glow of the neon they put around the battery's. So we could constantly see our output compared to everyone else. And we were doubling the other groups.

In reality it wasn't a contest to see who could do the most. There was no smack talk or recriminations. In fact I was sweating my ass off staying in Zone 2, while most were just lazily moving the pedals, reading a book, texting, etc. To stay in my zone I had to generate about 3.5 amps and was told in general most people were just doing 2.0 amps.

Look forward to another two hours tonight. Then Saturday a four hour shift. When asked if I was coming back on Sunday I told them I had a 16 mile run instead. Got a good look on that comment.




5 comments:

The Big Cheese said...

Sounds cool. Are you going to be on TV? The pic isn't showing up here.

Fumo Santo said...

That sounds like a blast!! I want in!!!

Flabbyironman said...

THat sounds really fun... plus a fun story to be able to tell.

Enjoy the four hours of people gawking at you tomorrow.

Mommymeepa said...

Very cool!! You ROCK!!

J~Mom said...

Sounds like a great event to be a part of!