Thursday, February 28, 2008

The Heart of the matter

In my pocket is a folded piece of plain paper. It hasn't left my pocket since it was created Tuesday afternoon. Along the left edge in blue ink are dates running all the way through the month of March. Next to each date is my workout for the day. The most aggressive, sustained three week program of my triathlon life.

Why?

Because I chose to do a race called Ironman in April. Not for glory. Not for redemption. Not for bragging rights. I chose to do it because every time I am out there on that course I learn what kind of man I am.

I think all of us look forward to races because their ultimately so simple. Give it all you got and cross the line. There is nothing to hold back for tomorrow. There is no pressing appointment conflicting with time. The day is sublimely perfect in its purpose. It is there for you alone.

Its off the course that it gets all muddled. Distractions to health and wealth. Family and work. The payoff seems so far away and there is so many miles of training left to get there. Compromise comes into play. 15 mile runs at a sustained heart rate of 10 miles of rolling hills? 35 miles of up and down riding of a 4% grade or a century ride at a steady state?

Equivocation.

When a Common Man like me trains with people who have clear athletic ability, like pretty much all my training partners, equivocation and compromise take place to maintain the pack. But really I need the long endurance training that I do in base work, just farther because of my goals. I can't just do a dozen 60 mile rides and expect to do well at an Ironman like many people can. I need several 100 mile rides.

In my pocket is a plain piece of paper. On it is a plan to I will stick to. Along the left edge in blue ink are dates running all the way through the month of March. My next race is here today when I started a 3 hour ride at three o' clock this morning. I have another one every day through the month of March. The most aggressive, sustained three week program of my triathlon life. Ironman is where I find out what kind of man I am. I forgot that the training is WHO I am.

3 comments:

Cliff said...

There is nothing more fun than going for a good 100 miler in the saddle.

Riding 3 o'clock at night/morning. U r nuts :)

Ironman is a mirror of what kind of person who we are :). How true is that.

J~Mom said...

Whoa...I love that third paragraph!! I think it pretty much says why I fell in love with my first (and only) triathlon.

Fe-lady said...

Keep at it! Whoohoo!