Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Paid to Train

Well I teased you pretty hard this week and many of you smarties commented on my 4 hour trainer ride Saturday and my training heavy Thursday. The reason is that I am participating in a live marketing campaign in conjunction with the Super Bowl here in Phoenix.

Here is what I know. GMR Marketing, specializes in large marketing campaigns using live subjects at big public events. Their Super Bowl campaign is for a 'Green' Company, we don't know the sponsor yet, that is having cyclists riding for 2 hour blocks running from 6am Thursdays straight through Sunday night at 8pm. They are paying $20 per hour and max out at four hours per day. I wanted more shifts but could only get 2 hours Thursday and 4 hour Saturday. Normally they are not letting people ride 4 hours straight but, when I told them I am an Ironman (yeah, I name dropped myself) they waived the exemption.

I told em, "Hey I got an 80 mile ride scheduled that day anyway, why not?"

So you want to know how I can sit on a trainer for four hour on Saturday? Pay me $80 for doing it. Plus the two hours on Thursday which I am just tossing on top of my normal training day.

There is no stipulation on cadence or distance, just keeping the pedals moving is all they care about and I can wear my iPod and listen to reruns of GYGO and TacBoy & Bigun. Of course the plan Saturday is to get 4 hard hours of training in, as well as smiling and proudly showing my uniform of a long sleeve green shirt with the yet unknown sponsor name. But I suppose with about 40 other people around me, there will be plenty to keep my occupied.

The event is at the NFL Experience complex, so I get free parking at the stadium and free admission to the complex. No, Super bowl tickets are not included. I didn't want to be anywhere near the stadium on game day. On Sunday I will knock out my 16 mile run then eat some sushi pre-game and have a massive BBQ steak and potato during the game with Pops.

13 comments:

Spokane Al said...

That is very cool. Have a great couple of days!

Ryan said...

What's the Superbowl? My wife says that I have lost touch with reality unless it involves swimming, biking, or running.

Brent Buckner said...

Fabulous deal!

Flabbyironman said...

That's pretty cool Comm. I got to visit the NFL experience when the game was here in Minnesota 16 years ago. I'm sure it's gotten to be a cooler event since then. Have fun riding... can't beat getting paid to pedal.

Mommymeepa said...

Thta is a sweet deal. Too bad tickets weren't included. Nothing wrong with tooting your own Ironman horn. Have fun!!

21stCenturyMom said...

They are making you wear a long sleeved jersey? That's just cruel! Clearly no athletes were in the mix of people who cooked this thing up. You will need to spin easy just to keep from sweating to death!

Have fun with your sweet deal!

Bigun said...

wow....tb'nb reruns? wish we had another episode done for you...I've been sick all week and just not up to podcasting (remember, ours is the "funny" podcast!)...

Lana said...

Whoa - getting paid to ride on the trainer?!?! That's what I call motivation!

Tony said...

You will be using thier "normal" bikes that do not come with the clipless setup we are used to (you can only push down. These bikes will be used to inflate a large balloon for advertising.

I work for the ADEQ Comm, so if you need further info just let me know.

Have a great time training this week.

Papa Tweet said...

Dude, if we all got paid to spin, we'd be rich. Especially with all the snow we have in Utah this year. I'm doing nothing but indoor rides.

P.S. Don't bonk

Fe-lady said...

Sounds like a great weekend...the 80 will help pay for sushi and the steak (and the beer! Please say there will be beer!) :-0

Tri-Dummy said...

Sign me up for some of that.

That's a sweet deal, brother.

My Life and Running said...

Very cool! I hope you have something fun to spend those $80 on!