Wednesday, April 11, 2007

zip ties and heart rate

Last night, Andy2 and I took our bikes out for a shake down after getting tune ups. He was trying his new aero helmet and HED3 disc wheels and I was just making sure the gears worked and the cables were tight. Good thing because although the bike was working perfectly, my polar bike computer fell off. No big deal, just a stretched out rubber band that I replaced later with zip ties.

With that SNAFU, I have trained sans technology all week. Its been an interesting investment in my taper to only rely on my internal perceptions as opposed to HR, pace, distance, cadence, ave. speed, etc.

Of course all that will be looked at almost exclusively to everything else on race day. The last thing I want to think about on race day is what hurts or how hard I'm breathing.

3 comments:

nancytoby said...

Just remember when you're out on the course all of us at home sitting behind our computer screens cheering madly for you!!!!

momo said...

comm, forget thinking about the pain - you have been there before and you KNOW you can overcome it. instead, think about all the people who are standing behind you, we'll be sending you prayers and good wishes, encouraging you, and cheering for you every step of every minute you're out on that course. we are all so excited for you and we want you to have a GREAT time!!!

i'll be out there on sunday - nancy will be cheering madly from her computer and i'll be screaming madly from the corner of mill and rio salado. see you then!

Iron Pol said...

Gadgets are nice, but come race day, you know more than any instrument in your arsenal. I'm still trying to get used to the concept of using my HRM for anything other than pretty graphs.

You'll do great. Regardless of time off or at work, take it easy and give yourself the mental and physical downtime needed to be ready come Sunday.