Monday, April 30, 2007

Thats a big Haboob!

Fe-Lady had a great question for me about Haboobs. First I must proclaim that I am not very smart and in complete transparency for several months I thought the Fe in Fe-Lady was pronounced Fay not realizing the Fe stood for the periodic table for Iron. I put 2 and 2 together while working in my garage one day. Much like my thinking Taconite Boy was pronounced Taco Night until I was schooled that taconite is pronounced Tack-a-nite for a rock type in his region and not my favorite dinner.

Anyway, two great people with much to say.

Here is a link to the definition of Haboob. Even though I am not very smart, I will state that I did not read this definition before writing my post earlier today.

9 comments:

Spokane Al said...

We both learned something new today. Thanks for informing the rest of us out here.

Laurie said...

I would have just thought you made it up ;)

Flo said...

Comm, if it makes you feel any better, I'm a chemist. I know the Fe stands for Iron but when I think of her in my head I think Fay lady. So don't feel bad - I'm trained :)

Kewl Nitrox said...

Glad to see you are making time for the important stuff - family. :)

Taconite Boy said...

patience....i need patience....Comm, taconite is not just a rock type, it is the raw form of iron....sigh, chin to chest....slumping and kicking stone down driveway

By the way I also thought she was 'Fee'-lady until Trimama schooled me. :)

Winz Photo said...

Hehe, live and learn. I'm with you about Taco night. Dont even try to pronounce my last name

Wendy said...

Comm's, so then, a haboob can create a hubbub.

(I had no idea there was such a weather event. So you've edified me!)

Fe-lady said...

Oh to be the subject of pronunciation and meaning....! :-)
Thanks for the kind words and the help with "haboob"-I have lived here for 30 years and have never really witnessed one I don't think. So, yeah, you learn something new every day!

Iron Pol said...

I'm with others. While the Fe in Fe-Lady's name didn't throw me, I too think if her as "Fay Lady." We all know she's iron, and using phonetics ensures we know it's more than just something related to a branded race.

And not to worry, Taconite Boy, being from Wisconsin, and growing up in the home of the Neenah Foundry, I am ALL over taconite. Know how to pronounce it, know what it is, and can probably throw a non-taconite rock and hit some somewhere. So, there is one person who knows the background.