Monday, April 9, 2007

Dialing it in

As the hours tick away till Ironman, Mistress reminds me to focus. In Florida I had four straight days living the Ironman life before race day and this time I am not taking any work off before and just the morning after.

The menu at our house is considerably more healthy than you would expect except for the munchies which I am now avoiding through the race. I will certainly be increasing water and Gatorade intake as Sunday gets closer and by Thursday start using electrolytes sparingly to get my concentration up pre-race.

Going through my provisions I realized I am out of maltrodextrin (Carbo-Pro) and Cytomax. As a personal reminder of the First Law of Triathlon: Don't Try Anything New On Race Day, I have to go buy six single serving packets of Cytomax because I am going to try a new brand this year and don't want to use anything my stomach is not used to on race day. I did not have time to buy my pharacutical grade maltrodextrin online in time so I ended up spending $6.66 per pound for Carbo-Pro and split the tub with a friend rather than the $1 I am used to spending from online sources.

Whereas in the very beginning almost two years ago Mistress and I spent hours figuring out our Training Contract, this time around she is been much more my partner and coach. Just as I have become accustomed to six hour workouts away from home so has she and her encouragement is a testimony that any family can support an iron-distance triathlete lifestyle.

Weather is a toss up right now. The winds are picking up this week to 40 mph on Thursday but its projected to keep the weather on race day to a high of 82. If the winds can drop on race day then it could be perfect. Still I would rather take the heat and no wind than great temperature and high wind, like the first year IMAZ.

15 comments:

Fumo Santo said...

From the looks of it, the next low pressure system should be heading in on Monday, thus leaving you with high pressure (and light winds) for the majority of the race.

And I agree with you 100% when it comes to wind. Growing up and living 30 years in Chicago, I've grown sick of the wind. Wind sucks. It sucks when riding, walking, swimming, running, cutting the grass, taking out the garbage, washing the car, grilling steaks, whatever... Wind sucks (unless I'm sleeping with the windows open).

Good luck this weekend and the days leading in!

Bolder said...

your IMFL wingman here.

dial it in bro.

i'm proud of you for toein' the line.

wish i could be there for you this time too, but, i know you have your crew!

let your preparation meet your opportunity on race day.

Glen said...

Hey I'm making my trip out to tribe tomorrow for all the needs so can't wait for that bill. Good luck this week.

Kona Shelley said...

You'll be great, the weather will be great...all in all...it will be GREAT!!! Can't wait to see how you do and read all about it..pics would be cool too eh????

nancytoby said...

Go for it, Comm! You're going to have a great race.

Not to be argumentative, but I don't agree that "any family can support an iron-distance triathlete lifestyle." You're fortunate that you are able to do so.

Duane said...

What's your bib #?

Comm's said...

Well perhaps its overly simplistic and general Nancy, but given the financial resources and discipline on the triathlete and the family I stand behind it. Look at us. We have kid(s) that have an abundance of need and found the time. There were many weeks where i was up every two hours in the night with Mo, taking him to the bathroom or giving him a treatment. We woke up early and we stayed up late. Part of my contract with Mistress was how many days I slept in so we woke up together because that was important to her. We skipped our lunches and missed social activities to practice during the day and on weekends.

I certainly had to fight with Mistress on the parameters of what was allowed and not allowed in the beginning. It was truly a dependent relationship on each other to make it work. It took trust and follow up. As she began to trust I would do everything she needed me to do around the house and as a family, including a weekly schedule of my training so she could schedule around that, it became easier.

Its not easy for any family to make such big changes but its not as if the iron distance triathlete is being deployed to Iraq for eighteen months. Obviously if the finances are not there, then its extremely difficult but I think for the most part triathletes are a financially committed group when it comes to long term satisfaction and again going for long distance.

And of course you mean to be argumentative, thats why we get along so well. :)

Mike said...

Comm- here's to calm waters, nice temps and tailwinds for your race! Very cool that the course is right in your backyard- I prefer that vs. all the travel/stress involved in an "away game".

LBTEPA said...

Good luck on Sunday :)

Jen_runs said...

May the water be calm & the wind always at your back. Good luck & continue the mission !

I'd say that I'll be thinking of you during the race but I'll be asleep - the problem with being down under :-)

Dr. Iron TriFeist :) said...

Good luck on Sunday. May the forces of nature smile upon your adventure!

Sending vibes for constant tailwinds on the bike. :)

Bigun said...

gettin close, comm - good luck - you're a vet at these, so no worries....

Phoenix said...

Rock it, Comm!

the Dread Pirate Rackham said...

cool and not too windy - that would be a perfect race day, no?

I just read an article in the USAT mag that made the same statement - that anybody can fit in 15hrs a week if they want to. I believe it. I don't think we're that special.

Of course, it helps that my husband is an athlete. We support each other. This is not a one-sided deal.

Bridget said...

Comm, I am dreading the windy weather too. I have started checking it every few hours. Oh well, we will deal with it like everyone else on Sunday! Good luck and I hope to see you out there.