Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Windows of Opportunity

In the alpine climbing world there is usually only a small window each year to summit certain mountains. Mt. Everest for example has a climbing window of about three weeks at the end of May between spring and monsoon season. Some peaks in Yosemite can only be summited in July or August and sometimes I hear not at all.

I have been pondering this lately as I realized my window is upon me. Next weekend I have my second Ironman. Then I essentially spend three weeks recovering with very little working out that I can foretell, then I travel to Mexico for an Olympic distance race held on Cinco De Mayo. Yes they do serve beer at the finish line. I will post more on that race later. Then two weeks later another Olympic distance race.

April 15th to May 20th. 3 races in 5 weeks. 1 Ironman and 2 Olympics.

When thought of realistically, it really means that other than those 3 races, I will won't be doing any training of note. How can I? Its race, recover, taper, repeat. By 11 a.m. on May 20th my season is essentially over except for maybe a pick up here or there just for the fun of it. Funny how some peoples season won't even start until later in the year. Interesting.

Having such a short season does have its advantages. I want to take my performance to another level and need to make some fundamental changes to my training. My body has become too adapted to my training stimuli. I have been training for one Ironman after another since September 2005. Thats right, I trained and peaked for Arizona 2006 (didn't compete), took no time off and trained, peaked and completed Florida 2006, took two months off and trained for Arizona 2007.

Like the Himalayan climber I have a small window to achieve my victories this year and then its time to regroup and climb another peak (which is not a metaphor for leaving triathlon for another sport). I sense a good year of change coming. I proclaimed 2007 as the Year to Step It Up. I thought it was the races. I was wrong. Its about the training; being consistent, challenging myself and God willing getting a bit of Favor.

5 comments:

Kona Shelley said...

You can do this Comm man!! Anything is possible!!

Joy | Love | Chaos said...

Swing for the fences! You only go around once...

Comm's said...

thanks ladies. I will. Anything is Possible.

Tri-Angle said...

Dude
Don't forget September! The Timex, and one other....Can't remember the name. Then of course the SOMA 1/2 in October. I know you'll do that one!

Bigun said...

You're like a catapiller - soon you'll be in a cocoon and emerge as a beautiful butterfly, but before then you have take that long trip up the tree to find that place to perch from...

ok, that was gay, even for me...somehow I feel dirty...