Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Grateful: An Ironman's Story

I have never been so grateful for this blog. While I am not crying in my Starbuck's over this, the overwhelming support you distinguished people have shown me is quite frankly humbling.

My weight is coming back as expected though my energy is still up and down from the dehydration. I still have a lot of mucus coming from my lungs and sinuses so I will have to go to my doctors for more tests on what I might have.

I was browsing our digital camera the day after the race, Mistress took pictures of me in medical and then the ER. I will post them. I have decided that since I still have race day photos from the swim and bike and just not a finishing photo I am still going to create a shadow box. In lieu of the finishers photo I am going to use my ER photo. In place of the medal I am going to put my green Ironman athlete bracelet and my blue hospital admittance tag.

I'll post the medical photos soon. BTW to answer an unknown bet, I only threw up once on the course ;)

I met my teammates for lunch and we discussed the race as we will continue to do for the next six months. The fact that theirs ended with a photo and mine a IV bag makes little difference.

I want you to know I didn't learn anything new out there about myself. You won't hear from me that I am going to wrap myself into a chrysalis coocoon and emerge a beautiful butterfly stronger than ever or that I discovered the secret to my future happiness. I'm not that smart or I would have stopped 56 miles back from where I did. This was just a bad week for me and I had a bad day. Tomorrow is another day. There may be another Ironman inside me. Perhaps unfinished business on my home turf. I am not ready to make that commitment right now and luckily I don't have too. I have months to think and retrain myself but first I have to get healthy.

You are all the best.

16 comments:

Kona Shelley said...

Great attitude Comm!! You know i've been hearing that all the cool kids are signing up for IMCDA 08...hmmmm :-))

Nancy Toby said...

We're all wishing you a speedy recovery and many more years of healthy fitness!!

Laurie said...

You have a truly amazing attitude about this. You are right on all counts. Take care of yourself.

tarheeltri said...

Great post. Finish or not, your last paragraph sums up my own beliefs. Great persepctive.

Wendy said...

Again, Comm's, if I haven't said it enough, you are a class act. Truly.

bunnygirl said...

I love your attitude! You're a champion in my book-- who cares about the stupid finish line, anyway? ;-)

21stCenturyMom said...

The fact that you toed the line at all and made it 2/3 of the way through given all the problems you had getting there and the fact that you were sick, pretty much says it all. You are an Ironman - in more ways than one.

Spokane Al said...

Could to hear that you have made the turn and are on your way back to good health.

Take care and get well.

stronger said...

You are awesome Commodore! Awesome, awesome, awesome. That last paragraph says so much.

Get well friend.

Iron Pol said...

I don't know, I think a picture from the ER makes a pretty good finisher's photo. You just ended up in a different place.

And dang about the cocoon thing. I was hoping to see "Frilly lacey Comms." That would go so well with "Scrawny Arm Tac Boy."

Geo said...

I'm with Iron Pol on this one... An ER photo is a great finishers photo!

Ultra Crackhead said...

Fitness comes and goes, but life attitude is a constant that pulls you through all the schtuff that happens, and I admire you for not making a bigger thing out of this than it is. Your attitude shines through everything you write (not having the pleasure of having met you in person), and you are one of the most compassionate people I know. Right now, though, it's time to serve up that compassion to yourself, and it sounds like you've already made peace, and are doing the #1 thing which is to get physically healthy.

Ironman, or any passionate pursuit, for that matter, is not about the label--it's about the PERSON INSIDE, and you, my friend, are a wonderful person!

Fe-lady said...

Everyone still loves you that counts in your life...Ironman or not.
It's just a silly event...and yes, I do think you will be back, stronger than ever.
Don't rush things.
I have waited over ten years to even think that I would have time to train for another one...
now I don't know if my body will even let me train and compete in something of that distance.
And guess what? If I never do another Ironman it's OK. My life will still go on, my husband will still love me, and so will my daughter (sometimes!) and my parents. My sisters could care less as do my co-workers. It is an admiral thing to do, but I don't want to be remembered soley for "doing an Ironman"-how sad would that be?
Rest up. You will be back, wait and see. :-)

Winz Photo said...

You did your best, the college try. Rest up, get better and come back with a vengance!

Di said...

You. Are. Ironman.

PUSH TACTICS said...

Actually I to am from Tempe and just about every have had the opportunity to get involved…. Mostly just on the marketing side. However, I have had many friends who have competed in the Ironman and have always had a tremendous respect for determination and discipline. Couldn’t imagine what you guys go though. So, Ironman 09 came and went… did you participate this time around? I remember hearing that 09 was the last year it was going to be held in AZ. Do you know anything about that? Anyway, Anyway, hope you have healed and are staying healthy. Good luck and God Bless.

Jonathan Sacks
pushmodels.com