Wednesday, April 11, 2007

IMAZ Swag: Scene 1, Act 1


(Standing up from my chair) "Hi, I'm Comm's and I'm a swag whore."

(Group in unison)"Hi, Comm's."

(One lone Ironman bedazzled in M-dot gear in the back row)"Keep c'mon back man, it works."

aaaaaaand scene.

As you can see from the photo I have already sampled the expo of Ironman Arizona. I must say I am slightly disappointed. First the race colors this year suck. Brown with gold M-dot. I remarked that the race jerseys looked like chocolate. Come on, who the eff wears dark brown unless your Leon Phelps. Second, this is Phoenix. Who the heck wears long sleeve polar fleece or cotton sweat shirts here. Give me a break. Yet the expo is overflowing with these thick, IV inducing clothing items.

However I did get an orange towel; orange being the color of AZTRICLUB and my personal favorite. An extra race belt just because I couldn't help myself, a Christmas ornament with race logo, and couple of stickers for the swim bucket/ transition seat. I really wanted a collared shirt from this race and it looks like that ain't happening. I also wanted a very light weight long sleeve technical pullover. One can only hope.

Inside/Out sports was not letting anyone in their tent so I will undoubtedly be walking through there and getting some odds and ends.

I thought I would take a photo of the transition area (TA) without any bikes in it. In 72 hours this place will have 2,200 bikes racked in it. Multiply that times a rough average of $2,500 invested in each bike and you have $5.5 million dollars planted on one football field.

In full disclosure, you may notice a blue bottle on the shelf behind the swag. Thats for my camp stove. Many times instead of going out to eat I bring in freeze dried or dehydrated hiking food and fire up the stove in my office to boil water. This is especially necessary when I spend my entire lunch time working out.

15 comments:

Fe-lady said...

It's getting close...how exciting for you! Do you know your # yet? Or did you already tell everyone and I am that far behind?
Best of luck! Cooler temps than last weekend! YEA!

Fe-lady said...

It's getting close...how exciting for you! Do you know your # yet? Or did you already tell everyone and I am that far behind?
Best of luck! Cooler temps than last weekend! YEA!

nancytoby said...

Where's your spork?

Comm's said...

If NA Sports ever had a Spork with an M-Dot on it, I would so get one.

Kona Shelley said...

Comm?? I loves the towel..I hope they have some like that at the other IM's..that's something I can always use!!
Thanks for keeping us posted on the happenings out there..more, more please..:-))

Bolder said...

nice job on the opening scene...

look forward to the following acts, and of course the finale.

your schwag ho bro

Ellie Hamilton said...

This is getting exciting!

Wendy said...

Comm's, I'm likin' the AZ weather so far ... on to Tempe tomorrow ....

Bigun said...

Nice orange towell - that's so you! Reminds me of that orange GM had on silverado's in like '02 or '03 - no one thought it would sell, and they went like hotcakes.

hmmm, open flame in the office or, perhaps, a hot plate...I can just here your office mates making coyote sounds every time you fire that stove up - what, no sterno?

3 attempts to get though the word verification...btw...arggggg

Bigun said...

Nice orange towell - that's so you! Reminds me of that orange GM had on silverado's in like '02 or '03 - no one thought it would sell, and they went like hotcakes.

hmmm, open flame in the office or, perhaps, a hot plate...I can just here your office mates making coyote sounds every time you fire that stove up - what, no sterno?

Taconite Boy said...

hold on...trying to lift teenie tiny arms up to key board...there we go.

I'm getting ironcited just reading your post!

Winz Photo said...

mmmm scwag. Best part about expos and conferences. Of course the best is free.

Phil said...

Nice shot of the bike racks. I remember watching some old (80's) Ironman footage, and the commentator was going on about how 'these' bikes were special 'triathlon' bikes, and can cost as much as $1000. haha. If I don't get to say it later... Good Luck!

Iron Pol said...

First, I'm glad to see your getting all the math out of your head early. Better now than on the course.

Second. Hilarious, Tac Boy. Just hilarious. Good call back.

Italian + Mexican = Wopsican said...

Right on. I did it in 2007 and the winds were brutal. Good luck in 08