Tuesday, April 10, 2007

A mile in line


I have looked through so many scopes in my life, I pretty much view everything through red dot or a green night vision filter. As the reticle in my mind dials into race day, life at once seems to slow down and speed up much like concentrating on my breathing to get the perfect shot off. So the question is: is it just me or does everyone else seem to move so much slower the closer I get to Ironman?

Yesterday I was Office Max. It took me two minutes to find the tabs that I needed and nine minutes to get through the checkout line. There were ten employees in the store and only five customers, all of us in line with me being last. I figured I could have run a mile and come back and still not have lost my place in line, nor intrupted the flow of business.

I find that I walk really fast right now; at work, at the store, in the parking lot, it doesn't matter. Sometimes I run where I need to go; inside, outside, it doesn't matter.

I realize I am walking really fast when someone up ahead gets into my line of travel and I get right up behind them really fast almost like I warped up to them. Of course I try to get around them but it seems slow people are drawn to walking right into my path and my side shuffle becomes a leap to the side.

I'll be thinking about this post at around mile 126 on Sunday. I hope I am moving faster than a fast walk.

5 comments:

Flo said...

Comm, in case I forget to later in the week, I want to tell you to have an awesome race. Since it's my B-day, I'll be throwing back some drinks and toasting you to a great finish.

Bigun said...

focusing in like a lazer beam - nice - shoot, my heartrate just went up thinking about you out there making it happen. Have an awesome time this weekend - I'll be thinking of ya!

S. Baboo said...

It's almost time for the big day! I am sure that at mile 126 running or walking it will feel fast enough. I know I plan on having a fast day...regardless of my pace.

Chris said...

Good luck this Sunday, Comm!!!

greyhound said...

Now, if you find yourself bellowing, "ON YOUR LEFT" to silver-haired mall walkers, you really should seek some professional help.

Remember, you've got to control that heartrate and breathing to keep a good site picture.