Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Up and running while sitting down

Yesterday I had my first training session with my new swim coach. We used his endless pool which is interesting to say the least but its very nice to receive criticism so fast. I had to only take a breath and see him miming the correction he need me to make. I almost felt like a pitcher getting throw instructions from the coach.

Needless to say this Ironman at the end of his winter break and looking at a rocket climb to his next Ironman race, had much to work on. I could go through all the rigamarole's but lets just say, though I can swim 2.4 miles its not something you would want to watch unless your into watching train wrecks.

About an hour before the session my back started to get tight, really tight. The swimming did not help and I drove over to rehab after for an adjustment and stem. Not feeling much better through the evening I awoke this morning to stabbing pain in my lumbar and tingles in my legs. I am still very uncomfortable. I actually think I will go to Urgent Care tonight for pain killers since I can not get into my primary today.

Still lots of training planned though I will have to figure out some maneuvers around this obstacle.


7 comments:

Clyde S. Dale said...

Sorry I missed you at Changs. My family was down there with me and time flew.

Boy was it cold!!! Even for a Wisconsin boy.

Flatman said...

Careful with that back, buddy...

Bolder said...

sorry to hear about your back.

i thought i was a pain in the ass, but, this annoyance was not expected.

what did your coach tell you about your stroke?

Nancy Toby said...

Go Comm!!

How 'bout an Endless Pool review, while you're at it? We don't have room for a real pool, but if I start thinking ahead....

Laurie said...

Ouch. I hope your back feels better fast.

Fe-lady said...

Hope you are feeling better...if that's what swimming in an endless pool does for one, then "no thanks!" (Actually I think they put you in a different body position than if you were swimming straight in a 25 meter set up...) My opinion only!

Iron Pol said...

I've been out of touch during vacation, sorry to hear the back is acting up. I went through a period when my legs would go numb (like falling asleep) and had a bunch of Navy docs said it was psycosomatic. Good doctoring.

I imagine and hope your docs take it as serious as they should. Take it easy, your experience should tell you that rest works best.