Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Third times a charm

Funny...I have written two posts already today and neither of them are up. Oh the first one was crap and though funny I couldn't get it to gel so ditched it after several minutes. The second...I thought I did something and posted it. Hmmm. Oh well.

Swimming is getting better. Coach Nick has ditched the bi-lateral breathing. Guess there is too much other stuff to fix first. I am much more comfortable with one side breathing. Progress is better with the stroke look and pacing. Rolling more with my hips instead of looking like a board in the water.

To be overtly masculine, Nick's swim client after me, who is doing IM CdA this year, was a smoking hot brunette who wore a tri bikini. She was just hanging out with us while I finished up, like a in a transition area. I mention this because now all I want to have for dinner is a salad. I suppose a BIG salad but nevertheless it takes focus like that to put a damper on poor dieting.

Any one want to join my on this carrot?

8 comments:

tri-mama said...

Ahhh Comm, who needs carrots when you've got charm?

Laurie said...

Sometimes that's what it takes to get back on the carrot.

Bolder said...

no pictures = did not happen

i don't make the rules.

bilateral breathing is highly over-rated... sure, i can do it, and even really proficiently. it's nice for training.

but, on race day, the race stroke of choice for the masses is one side only when you are hauling ass!

maverick said...

Bold - I agree on two points:
No picture....did not happen
and
You should work on your over hand right instead of bi breathing. Much more useful.

Iron Pol said...

Well, not to go against the mighty and popular Bold, but Coach Mike (who also coaches Bold) would indicate that bilateral breathing is a useful tool. It should, however, be a "fix in warmup/cooldown" issue. I throw a 50 with bilateral breathing at least once during warmup and once on cooldown.

If you can only breathe right, what happens if "right" happens to be full of stupid big waves? Oh, wait, I know the answer to that. Swim, swim, swim, suck in water, gasp, drown.

Comm's said...

Iron Pol, as always you have insight however I can answer your question regarding single side breathing and waves, what DID I DO at Florida...time it right half the time.

Maverick- (BTW Maverick-great handle) As bold will attest, I live in hottness central. I can throw a 5 pound dumbbell right now and hit a half dozen solid 8's. Not Iowa 8's, Scottsdale 8's.

The fact that I did not have a camera should not bias incredulity.

Bold- brutha you know better than to doubt my trained eye.

SingletrackJenny (formerly known as IronJenny) said...

Three cheers for single side breathing.
And I believe you Comm!

Wendy said...

Ask me how much Blogger despises me? I am now attempting to comment for the fourth time ...

With IMAZ looming, your time is best spent where you will reap the most benefits and feel comfortable in the swim. And the fine tuning you're doing will stand you in good stead!

I'm sure that you will go at the bilateral breathing again when it suits your training schedule better. The benefits to your stroke from bilateral breathing aren't necessarily measured in how you choose to breathe on race day.