Friday, January 19, 2007

Drown before I float

2nd swim session early this morning and I got frustrated. Its the usual culprits of trying to remember six things at once while not swallowing all the water in the pool. This bi-lateral breathing thing sucks hard, mostly sucking water. I cough up water in the pool and burp it up the rest of the day from the gulps of air.

Intellectually I understand everything Nick is doing with me and I visualize perfect execution of all his instructions but reality will take some time. Part of my issues I think still stems from the fact that gliding in the water is just one step removed from drowning will stroking. Subconsciously I have a hard time gliding...well doing anything well in the water except flounder and make big splashes.

Ultimately I will become a better swimmer, a more efficient swimmer and that is the goal.

9 comments:

Glen said...

Hey in a month you will be just gliding along looking smooth. It took me a while to get use to the breathing both sides but now it's great and still take in some water but not as bad as it use to be.

Laurie said...

One good thing, you can't get worse.

Spokane Al said...

I certainly understand where you are coming from. My masters coach gives me tips to improve my technique and conceptually they make a great deal of sense. Logistically I have a bit of problem implementing them.

But we will get better, right?

Brent Buckner said...

I hear you - I have trouble making multiple changes.

Bolder said...

be the water.

.
.
.

that's all i've got.

greyhound said...

Sorry, I couldn't hear you over the wretching and choking from sucking down the agua as I was "being" the water.

Wendy said...

I have to change one thing at a time. It's all I can cope with.

You're right, though. You will indeed become a better, smoother swimmer. And the bilateral breathing will be a big step in getting you there. (Even if it sucks, literally, while it becomes second nature.)

Ellie Hamilton said...

I did that when I started learning bilateral breathing. Eventually got so it felt natural. It's doable. That gliding thing, however, is another thing....

Andy said...

Suggestion: (not like you need another one)

Try one side for 2-3 breaths, and then switch to the other side for the next two to three breaths.

That way you are still working on one side or the other for most of the lap (depending on whether or not you are in a 25m or 50m pool).

Hope you are having a great weekend!!!

Murtha...