Thursday, January 18, 2007

A Doc with the walk

I went to Urgent Care last yesterday for my back. I couldn't get into my primary and just needed something to help me comfortable when I slept. Urgent Care is actually a business here in the Valley of the Sun and is a for-profit version of the emergency room with non-life threatening injuries and illnesses. It does in a pinch.

The doctor that I saw was not only an Ironman finisher but a highly accomplished triathlete and former president of the Phoenix Tri Club. We talked a bit, he understood my training, my down time condition, my desires and goals.

My back is still killing me this morning though I was able to sleep through the night. I am hoping to get into my rehab clinic today and then again tomorrow evening. I really don't think I have it in me to workout today, crap I could barely tie my shoes this morning. I am still doing my swim session tomorrow however.

This training program for IMAZ has not gone anything like I expected.

12 comments:

Fe-lady said...

Did he recommend a good massage therapist or yoga instructor (to loosen you up?) Is it musculature in nature or a disc thing? Will make a big difference with what you can/are allowed to do and your recup time! Hope you get this thing fixed SOON!!! Best of luck!

Spokane Al said...

You are very lucky to have found a doctor who understands you and your triathlon goals.

Here's hoping you are fixed and back on the road to IM AZ soon!

Flatman said...

Get better, you need to be healthy!!!

The Big Cheese said...

About 5 years about I had some back problems. For 3 months I wobbled around in constant pain. Finally, thru drugs, stretching, and a Chiropractor (usually not a fan, but worked this time) it finally came around. I know what you are going through. Hope you feel better.

Glen said...

Dam dude, your body goes through some crap. I'm knocking on wood I dont have any of your injurys in the next 3 months. You will be ready for AZIM, you have the mind for it. And thanks for the call last night might look into it all.

bunnygirl said...

I wonder if kinesio taping would help you like it did me. Did the Ironman Doc have any specific recommendations for you?

stronger said...

All I can say is that I have an even greater respect for you after viewing attack of the brownie. Who cares about your back when you can do amazing feats such as that!

Laurie said...

I hope your back feels better soon. :(

Nytro said...

oh... and have you considered an enema?

Nytro said...

oh... and have you considered an enema?

Nytro said...

i missed it... how did you hurt your back. make sure you listen to your body. don't overdo it and end up like the greyhound.

greyhound said...

What Nytro said. If it is a slipped or herniated disk, no amount of adjustment will help. Most will fix themselves in a couple of weeks, unless (like some idiot, middle aged, scrawny, type A training zealot from South Texas who shall remain nameless) you crunch that poor puppy and squish all the juice out.

Traction, anti-gravity, ice, NSAIDs and EZ does it. If not, prepare for hell. I am just now having long intervals without pain.