Monday, January 15, 2007

No date for the race

Can you believe that there were no wheel chair athletes for me to assist for the half marathon. All I did was ride about 100 yards in front of the two led runners with the timing car. I got in a great 13.1 mile, low chain ring, high cadence workout on completely cleared streets.

It was freaking cold. Below freezing at the start of the race. Luckily I was prepared this time for the cold and did pretty well staying warm.

Once I got back to the finish area I hooked up with Hardcore Mike and stashed the Valdora in his car and grabbed a cup of coffee. Then we waited for a couple hours for everyone to come in from their races. The Machine was the sole marathoner this day and while he had a hard final 10k he looks no worse for wear. John and his wife run/walked the half and came in about the same time. (The half started an hour later).

We all went to a local sandwich/bar joint and had some hot beverages while watching the end of the Bears/Hawks game.

As to the man-bag/man-purse/thing that Nytro is putting out on her blog; I haven't read yet it since she has tried to pick that scab like an itch with me the whole weekend. I don't want to get into any Rosie comparison kind of thing here. She had a great run with Benny and Bolder and I am happy for her.

Just for a clarification, I went to the expo with a canvas messenger bag from American Eagle and Nytro started in on me (the link is for this years model, the 2005 model is a little taller without the writing on the bag). Not a big deal to me because not only am I extremely confident in my masculinity I have thick skin and will laugh as heartily as anyone when the joke is on me. Plus its quite fashionable which we all know people who live in Utah are five years behind in trends.

I was going to bring my usual backpack but admit I was wearing my Ironman finishers shirt and knew wearing the backpack would hide the design, thats all. In a weird little twist the next day I used an oakley backpack for the ride and it was so cold the carrying handle unraveled and then two of the three large buckles for the top flap snapped off while I was opening and closing the pack.

Its still really cold today, maybe colder. I am going to shoot for a 10k run later on.

11 comments:

The Big Cheese said...

I have to admit; while the bag can be scene worn by men...they are usually in college. I would have gone with the backpack. A pink backpack.

Flatman said...

Yeah...a hello kitty backpack!

I still think you are a man, Comm... :) In fact, you are an IRON-MAN!

stronger said...

You were well equipped for purchases...man-bag-schwag.

Laurie said...

You are such a good sport. Carry that man-bag with your head held high!

greyhound said...

So, if Rambo or Indiana Jones carried a purse, they'd carry one of those.

But then Rambo and Indiana Jones did not carry purses. (hee hee)

Taconite Boy said...

Man card violation. To many women commenting on your purse. Drink two shots of tequila and jump in a cold man made lake.

Lana said...

The messenger bag is cool - keep carrying it...especially if you are wearing that IM finisher's shirt. No way I'd be covering that up!!

Mike said...

That is a sweet bike Comm!

Wendy said...

Fashion forward (and very practical) IronMan -- I tell you that Mistress is a lucky gal!

Dr. Iron TriFeist :) said...

My husband has used a messenger bag instead of a backpack for years. It's actually really practical.

Bolder said...

dude, this year's model is a messenger bag... last' years model was a man purse...

FESS UP!

i think an actual shot of the man purse should be placed on this beloved blog, and have blogland settle the 'messenger bag' vs 'man purse' man law violation for good!