Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Gear Review: Endless Pool

I now have the luxury of using an endless pool for my workouts. An endless pool is made to mimic open water swimming and comes in two models, above ground and in-pool. Regardless of the medium, it is a motor that pushes water in a manner that allows the swimmer to perform their exercise while staying stationary in the water.

This pool is above ground and indoors, in fact it is inside Tribe Multisport and run by Nick Goodman, owner of Durapulse a triathlon based personal training company. This pool is 8' x 15' with a wide lip around the sides to walk around. There is a narrow bench under the water running around the pool, I guess for lounging. Its approximately 3.5 feet deep with a spongy floor. The motor is a 5hp propulsion system with a dial that adjusts the speed of water flow against the swimmer. There is a heater and I swam at a comfortable 77 degrees. There is a mirror on the floor of the pool that allows the swimmer and/or coach to watch technique and alignment.

Other models and styles include smaller hot tub models, motor kits for existing pools, additional mirrors and lighting systems, obviously custom lengths, widths, depths and exterior build ups. One option I have seen but not used is a video camera and DVD system through the mirrors.

It is a different feeling than both open swimming and lap pool swimming. The water comes straight at you and I did notice that flaws in my breathing or stroke that moved me to the side of the stream pushed me out. I really enjoyed the sensation (security) of swimming in a pool but not having to turn around against a wall every 30 seconds or so.

When mistress and I looked for our last house I did not want an existing pool. I wanted to put in an endless pool, which I could take with me if we moved again. I am not a big fan of backyard pools because of cost / labor of upkeep and lack of year round use even in Phoenix. This experience validates my next purchase will definitely not have a pool in the backyard.

Now my swim flaws. Nothing was incredibly new to me, really a validation of what I know.
  • I tend to kick too much and split my legs.
  • I tend to bring my hands in front of me when I stroke, like a catch up drill, as opposed to 10 & 2; which causes me to zig zag in the water.
  • This was exaggerated by my back problems yesterday but I don't roll from my hips, I roll from my shoulders.
  • I don't press my chest into the water, which cause my feet to fall and create drag.
  • Front quadrant strokes.
  • Bi-lateral breathing is now on the list.
The front quad swimming and 10 & 2 stuff was corrected fairly quickly as I know about that and once reminded by Nick corrected by the end of the hour for the most part. I have never tried to bi-lateral breath as a habit and swallowed a lot of water from my opposite side or my form would collapse and the stream would push me out. The bi-lat stuff increased the time I hold my breath and it was uncomfortable changing my rhythm, which caused me to cough, sputter and collapse my form after a few minutes.

By the end I felt more comfortable with bi-lat breathing and slowing down my stroke while increasing my glide. I am not looking to knock thirty minutes off my IM split, I just want to swim more efficiently with a lower HR. I think if I can overcome these obstacles and whatever else is thrown at me, my split will drop but its a long process.

One I am willing to undertake. Again.





13 comments:

Nancy Toby said...

Interesting stuff, Comm! Thanks for writing it up!!

Spokane Al said...

That was interesting. I have wondered what swimming in an endless pool would be like and now I know. Thanks.

Bolder said...

i would have told you the same thing from watching you in the ocean... i would have added something about a higher elbow.

you really have no issues with swimming fundamentals -- you can get it done!

Brent Buckner said...

Stroke work itself is endless!

IMAZ may be a bit soon for knocking down your split heavily, but you certainly can make the swim go more easily.

(All the best for rehabbing your back)

Brent Buckner said...

Stroke work itself is endless!

IMAZ may be a bit soon for knocking down your split heavily, but you certainly can make the swim go more easily.

(All the best for rehabbing your back)

Laurie said...

It sounds like you know what you have to do and I am sure you will get it done.

Wendy said...

Thanks for the endless pool review Comm's! I have wondered!

Swimming technique is something that takes constant refining and attention, and it's great that you have a coach to help you work on it! It's amazing what some refinements can do ...

I hope your back feels better fast!!

Glen said...

hey whats the costaof a session down there.

greyhound said...

I'm working hard in bilateral hell myself. Just that little bit of extra time between the breaths makes a huge difference for me.

Phil said...

Interesting. I've often wondered about those things. (and 30 mins of an IM Swim split - that'll feel good)

Andy said...

Swweeeeet...

Whenever I get the money and the house to go with it, I am definately in. There is really nowhere near me to do open water swimming on a regular basis, so it becomes a very different experience on race day for me during the swim.

Murtha...

Bigun said...

Nice common-man review of the pool - I'm with you on pool ownership - I get a bit more use out of mine here in Tampa, but still, the cost of ownership makes it hard to justify - it is nice in the summer after a run, however.

I'm so thankful I started with TI swimming, which stressed bi-lat swimming, and since I was totally untrained (and arguably still am) the bi-lat stuff came pretty quickly. I'm still turtle slow, but I probably look cool....

Iron Pol said...

Bilateral breathing, while making me FEEL awkward and slow, usually results in faster 100 yard splits, for me.

One question, are you breathing every two strokes or four? I breathe every four strokes (or every second left stroke), so when I breathe bilaterally, I actually breathe more often, as I get a breath after each third stroke.

Just wondering. Either way, despite the awkward feel, using bilateral breathing does make me faster.