Thursday, January 4, 2007

Do Over?

Does anyone else want to join me?

I have been off line for the last few day with the stomach flu. Not pleasant. But a great diet so far this year; lets see, two diet cokes, two Gatorade's and a handful of M&M's. I am finally back in the office and as long as I don't get up or move, I might make it a half day here. Lets just leave it at that.

Training has obviously taken a severe beating and I am reticent now to discuss doing PF Changs marathon next weekend. I was going into this completely under trained and now that my system is at a zero rating energy and stamina wise, it may not be the best choice for an Ironman that is now less than 100 days away. If ever a rocket needed extra thrust to achieve orbit it would be me right now.

As bad as it is for me, my heart is broken for Mo and once again I am humbled by his steadfast positive attitude. He went to the doctors yesterday for a much needed monthly check up (holiday delays) and we knew he was under the weather but had no idea. Sinus infection, double ear infection, bronchitis. The thing is he has no serious cough and no fever. Once again his doctors are amazed that he has been as cheerful and playful as he is with such issues going on in him. It never ceases to amaze me and then I consider if I am a completely blind and deaf parent. Mistress as well. We are not. Mighty Mo is the living embodiment of a positive, loving angel who is a teacher to others of priorities in life.

When you add up the colitis, the asthma, the allergies, all the attentive illnesses, Mo is back up to 7 or 8 med's per day, given multiple times per day.

Makes a stomach flu and Ironman training seems so small in comparison.

9 comments:

Pixie said...

What a great example Mo is setting for the rest of us. I was in the middle of feeling sorry for myself with this minor head cold until I read this. Thanks for sharing!

:)

Clyde S. Dale said...

My heart goes out to you. Nothing worse than watching you kids suffer. I'm doing the half at Changs. Should be fun!!

Flatman said...

MO IS DA MAN! Give him a hug for me...

Laurie said...

I'm so sorry to hear that you've been sick. I think it is a good idea to skip the RnR marathon.

Wow, Mo is such a trooper! I hope he gets better soon.

Glen said...

mo is the man, they kid just keeps on trucking and nothing seems to get to him. Hey we have to do some training together next week when you get better.

Cliff said...

agreed...things we train annd race are small compare to what other faces...

Go Mighty Mo.

Iron Pol said...

Whatever this bug is that's flying around the country is pretty vicious on the ears and sinuses. Both B-Boy and Mrs. Pol had sinus and ear infections. Sounds like Mo get hit with the triple whammy.

As he gets older, you'll see much of his tolerance to the ear and sinus issues continue. And you'll get more sensitive to what's happening. The first time I had both ears out of commission, my parents were oblivious. After that, they knew that me "not paying attention" was sometimes a sign of hearing loss.

We'll keep all of you in our prayers. You're all like the front lines of the illness battles.

And drop Changs if you're not back up to 90%. If you're there, then perhaps a long, supported training run. Then, you can stop at whatever seems reasonable.

tarheeltri said...

Kids in general never cease to amaze me, but Mo is just the biggest trooper of them all! And don't sell you and the Mistress short either... great parents are always reflected in their kids!

Wendy said...

Comm's, Mo is a shining beacon, but his folks are awfully impressive, too.

You'll make the right calls.