Tuesday, January 30, 2007

my one and only request accepted

Okay first off, this is the first ‘tag’ I have done in two years despite repeated attempts from bloggers. The difference here is that I was ‘asked’ by IronJenny and to be brutally honest, I will do anything she asks. That’s right, Any. Thing.

  1. Describe a memory from your first triathlon ever.

My first triathlon ever was the one I watched my wife, Mistress, perform twelve years ago when we first started dating in Seattle. It was an All-Woman Danskin sprint. She started in the fourth wave and came out with the lead women in the first wave. Mistress was a four year varsity swimmer at Washington State University. Her event was the mile, and she swam on average seven miles a day, six days a week. (To finally get that little bit of vomit in your mouth all the way out…her PR for the mile is 16’41”).

  1. Describe a memory from your most recent triathlon.

Ironman Florida. Let’s see…coming out of the water with Heather Fuhr. Of course she had finished her two loops and I was just finishing my first. But really the entire week spent in Florida before, during and after the race will remain one of my most treasured memories of all time. I think if going to heaven is anything like the ending of the movie Titanic, I will find myself walking towards the beach and surrounding me will be all the friends that I had there. I will walk up to the surf and be completely at peace.

tri-mama, kahuna, me, robo-stu, iron jenny and so many more made my first ironman so blessed.

  1. What’s the most embarrassing thing that has ever happened to you in a tri?

I was doing a fat tire (x-terra type) triathlon and I got the most amazing pain and spasms in my back and legs only 100 yards into the open swim and could not finish. I had to hang onto a kayak and be brought in. It happened so fast, only a few minutes into the race, the safety person was completely off guard and I thought I might pass out from the pain of kicking to stay afloat. I was dragged in as the last people were coming out of the water and I felt so lame. I had to crawl to shore and lay on my back for several minutes with spectators still milling about.

  1. What’s the most thrilling thing that’s happened to you in a tri?

Taking 2nd Place in my division at a local sprint last year. The day was cold and raining with lightening and thunder. The start was delayed twice. Not only was the race in miserable conditions, I had just got my Valdora the day before and put exactly 12 miles on it. I raced with reckless abandon and loved every minute of it. I never, EVER, thought I would podium a triathlon. I love that cheap ass medal.

5. What is something you discovered about yourself by doing triathlons?

I really have a great marriage to a wonderful and understanding woman. I don’t have to be sitting in a chair with my bible in front of me to feel the presence of God. I talk to him more on the bike than I do in any quite time during the day.

6. What is The Big Goal that you’re working towards?

To become more technically efficient at each event ultimately becoming a lighter, faster version of myself today.

9 comments:

stronger said...

a swimming stud.

stronger said...

I didn't know Mistress was a swimming! Have you ever partnered for a relay tri?

Laurie said...

You should be proud of that medal!

Does Mistress still tri?

Bolder said...

i owe you a phonecall.

Bolder said...

i owe you a phonecall.

White Salamander said...

Thanks for posting these answers. Very cool. You've come along way since we first watched the Ironman AZ on top of the Mill Ave. bridge. I envy your commitment.

SingletrackJenny (formerly known as IronJenny) said...

Comm - great answers!

So you'll do anything I say??? Well, my driveway needs snowblowing and the recycling needs to get to the curb but it's 7 below and I jsut can't seem to get out there.... ;-)

Habeela said...

Someone once gave me a hard time about doing a triathlon instead of going to church. My response: triathlon is my church - it truly is a spiritual experience, isn't it?

momo said...

my hubby says the same thing about being out on his motorcycle in the desert on an early morning - the entire desert is his church. it makes him so peaceful. great answers, comm.