Wednesday, April 12, 2006

The Weirdness of Racing

There is just some things that are unexplainable during a race.

Take 'The Machine' for example. He and I have ridden well over a 1,000 miles on our bikes together in preperation for Ironman Arizona. Never would he have thought that 95 miles into his ride that his seat would fall off.

He was lucky enough to have a support truck nearby but their fix only lasted about minute before it happened again. The Machine sparked a MacGuyver and wrapped an innertube around the seat to keep it in place.

"I wasn't going to stand for the last ten miles of the ride."

Furthermore, everyone in the group had their nutrition stuff down pretty good before the race, yet to the man all suffered terrible GI issues. I suppose it was from the water they drank during the swim (the lake is not the cleanest) however they all have their own excellent thoughts on it.

Part of the mental prep I must use for Florida is that no matter how confident I might be, I have to be strong enough to suffer Uncle Murphy obstacles and strong enough to create solutions.


7 comments:

Nancy Toby said...

Those are amazing photos!!! Wow! Bravo to the rider!!

Cliff said...

Duct tape..solution to all live's problems...

I never thoguht about that..but i do have issue with my seat when the latch broke off.

That's smart that your friend put an extra duct in the straw to make it longer..

Bolder said...

ha!

i was thinkin', is that a new way to store tubes?

good on him for the creative solution...

mipper said...

his seat FELL OFF???? unreal. who expects that kind of stuff to happen?! good thoughts Comm. you can only prepare so far and then you have to be flexible to teh conditions. brilliant thinking with the innertube. i would have never thought of it.

tarheeltri said...

I love that shit. That's what I loved about the Corps... improvising. Makes the race memorable.

Sean said...

That's a cool quick fix for the bike seat.

Sean

Chris said...

I think Uncle Murphy can only sit in the corner for 6-7 hours or so. After that, it's all a toss up of what he'll bring.

And that is the most funky seat contraption that I've ever seen. Kudos to him for not giving up despite adversity.