Thursday, April 20, 2006

Big John IMAZ Report

My good training partner and motivator Big John did a great write up on his first time experience at Ironman Arizona. John is a good swimmer, good cyclist and a great walker.

In all seriousness he is fully aware of his limiters and plans around them with the methodology of mad scientist. Sometimes it works out and sometimes it takes a little bit more than ever imagined.

I was there at 11:34 pm when he came down the chute holding hands with his family and not ashamed to admit I was bit kvetched. I couldn't yell any words, they were stuck in my throat. Far to often I read of people doing extraordinary things and that night I watched it happen.

So please indulge me and read this often funny, very inciteful race report from Big John and give the guy some love in my comment section. Lord knows he gets none from me.


7 comments:

Dr. Iron TriFeist :) said...

BIG JOHN!!!!!! What a great race report! Thank you for sharing those feelings, all that internal struggle. You made relentless forward progress no matter what the day threw at you. Awesome job, ironman!

Bolder said...

great race, great report!

outstanding job Big John!!

you are an IRONMAN!!!

p.s. thanks for the tip about the sunscreen line, sersly, made my day.

Cliff said...

Good report Big John..that is truly touching...

Nancy Toby said...

Please tell Big John that he is my hero and I hope to follow in his footsteps (and tire tracks) on the Ironman lorida course!

Perfect quote:
" . . . there was NO WAY that I was going to finish before midnight but I had to try, I was not going to quit. Getting pulled from the course is one thing but quitting is not an option."

Flatman said...

Awesome. Just awesome. You are an IRONMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Big John...thank you from the bottom of my heart.

mipper said...

awesome report. WTG BIG JOHN! woohoooo! you are an IRONMAN! great job, with 30 minutes to spare too. just a walk in the park, right? :)

JC Hyte said...

Thanks everyone I truly appreciate the love and the congratulations, thanks again.
John