Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Touring about town

I used to hang out with this Englishman whose last name was Couch, so of course everyone called him Couch. Plus he was lazy as hell. Anytime he was asked what he was up to he would charateristicly state, "I'm touring about town, I'm on the couch." But he pronounced touring like tooling and about like a Canuck (ah-boot) and the couch meant sitting on his ass. Well its sounded funny if you knew the guy.

But I was thinking about my personal "tooling ah boot town" yesterday while doing laps around a hill that uses using some familiar IMAZ and Soma 1/2 IM bike course terrain. On my last lap going up Pagago hill, I saw a shadow in my draft zone. A cyclist caught up to me and said, "Hey didn't I see you at Tribe yesterday getting your bike worked on?"
"Yeah that was me?"
"Yeah man I thought that was you, I recognized the bike, sweet ride."
"Ah schuck (thank god the heat covered the blushing), you can ride my draft any day sailor. How far are you riding today...."

Turns out my new cycling friend is a New York transplant, triathlete and endurance sport photographer by trade. We had a good conversation over the next six miles and even set up an open water swim date for Thursday with the AzTriClub. (I'm a sucker for flattery).

You never know who you'll meet when you're "Tooling ah boot town"

6 comments:

Meagan said...

Right on. What a great way to meet a new training partner :)

Flatman said...

sweeeet....

Nancy Toby said...

Comm has a play-date!! :-)

Bolder said...

hey, was that a Canuck-ism?

you know, like age-ism, race-ism, or even ism-ism??

careful with the canadians, we'll send Elle down there after you.

my brotha, she'll take you down with just one thumb.

a.maria said...

no way thats awesome! i want to be recognized by my bike!

i... probably need to get out on it more for that... hmm..

... but still!

very cool.

Comm's said...

Hey Bold, I am also an anti-dentite. thats a Seinfeld-ism for you.