Tuesday, March 14, 2006

The Raid is Back

Alain Gaimard the co-creator of Raid Galouises, shamelessly ripped off and exploited quite well by Mark Burnett and his Eco-Challenge race, is coming back strong with a full season of X-Adventure races, one race held in western Idaho this year.

To qualify for the Raid World Cup a team must place well in three preceding X-Adventure Races which take place all over the world. All the races use the most extreme terrain in the world and combine outdoor sports from mountain biking to land navagation to glacier climbing, rappeling and kayaking.

Before triathlons, before my shoulder injury sidelined me from workouts, I was training for Adventure Racing. Ian Adamson is to this day my favorite all round athlete. I think that is why the Amazing Race is one of my favorite shows.

Once I get a breath from finishing a couple of Ironmans I will certainly be going back to this area of outdoor endurance racing. I have most all the gear already. Along with Adventure Racings, I would love to finish the Marathon des Sables, a 6 day/151 mile self supported footrace through the Sahara Desert, the Bataan Memorial Death March and an ultramarathon like the Chuckanut 50k or the Western States 100 miler. The ultimate after finishing an Ironman being Badwater 135 miler.

Life is full of fun.

10 comments:

Steven said...

Hey Comm!!
I got Triathlete magazine in the mail yesterday and you're in it!
Nice job!
My wife cannot get over the fact that I am such a blog geek, but then I showed her the article and she thought it was pretty cool.
She still thinks I'm a geek though..but she still loves me so all is good.
Congrats on being published, Comm.

Cliff said...

Commodore...

someday too iwanan do adventure racing..someday..for now Ironman...

stronger said...

I've traveled down that road with someone. Pace yourself so you don't get to the top of Mt. Everest and say, "now what"?

When you get to the adventure racing and need a woman team member- I'm up for it!

William said...

Badwater? Ironman is one thing, Badwater is torture for runners.

Bolder said...

i think you forgot 'The English Channel'...

Comm's said...

Damn it Steven, I went to two bookstores today and they still have last months issue.

IMmike said...

Yeah, Comm, I heard about the article. Great stuff. Can't wait to get my issue in the mail!

IMmike said...

Oh, if you're ever looking for a teammate for MdS, I'd really love to do that race. (They actually let you have teammates.) My dad and brother have told me they have no interest in running through the sahara. I'm working on them though :)

Trisaratops said...

Loved your chapter on the podcast! I'm heading out your way to visit my aunt in Mesa in April and backpack the Canyon for 3 days...sooo excited. Can't wait to check out your article in Triathlete--congrats!

tarheeltri said...

Comm, I share your pain with the triathlete magazine... old issues still on the stands!

As for the races... never heard of Raid, but was a big fan of Eco-Challenge from the first season. Almost fielded a team once... too bad we're too far apart to train together for Raid. I'd love to do it!