Saturday, March 25, 2006

The Medal...and a celebrity sighting?

Okay I promise only two more posts on the Scottsdale Tri. This one and the one with some race pictures which I ordered and should have by mid week.

This is the silver medal that I earned in the Cyldesdale division. Never in my life did I think God would bless me with a podium finish in a triathlon. Needless to say, this has given me tremendous cache' with Mistress in regards to our Training Contract. I am entitled to a performance bonus.



And finally after bemoaning on several other blogs about my never having a racing picture taken that I am proud of, I have one on the way. This race ended up being a blessing on so many levels.

This morning instead of swimming I participated in an interval training session with Tribe Multisports Saturday ride. Because of the Havasu Tri and the 2.4 mile swim race on the IM course today the riders were scarce. I ended up being the advanced rider of the group which meant that I rode a lot on my own due to speed factors. We went through a series of power drills and interval training. I would get ahead a bit on my drills and would turn off to a side rode to cool down as the group did their drill and caught up. I really learned quite a bit and even thought the ride was 20 miles I felt much more wiped out than that

Kevin asked why I was doing that and my response was simple, "Regardless of ability level, I want to hear what your telling these people because I am always learning something from you."

When we got back to the shop, there were some IM guys dropping off their bikes before the open swim at the lake. One guy came in the door as I was coming out and out of the blue says, "Hey I just saw you online this morning, you're Comm's right?" He was really excited like he had drank a couple of Red Bulls or a quad latte, pumping my hand up and down. I said yeah that's me where did you see me. He just spews out this totally fast sentence that I didn't catch the answer to my question and then he and his brother bombed out of the store with him yelling over his shoulder, "Hey it was great to meet you, Comm's."

I just thought it was a surreal experience. How often do you run into someone you have never met that recognizes you and know's your name and is actually excited to you? I turn around and one of the guys in the store say, "Dude he just treated you like a rock star." "Yeah, I guess so," was all I could reply.

Damnedist thing huh?

8 comments:

Keryn said...

1) Super cool medal, man! Really...

2) Super cool about your surreal experience. :)

3) What's your performance bonus?

bunnygirl said...

Great medal! I guess I'm going to have to learn how to go fast, because now I want one!

Congrats, again!

mipper said...

that is because you are a rock star. i'm sure i'd do the same thing if i ever got to meet you. for sure. :)

The Big Cheese said...

Too bad is was a couple of dudes and not a few ladies needing a "lesson" Stud.

Kewl Nitrox said...

Nice medal. You're a rock star in my books Comm. ;)

My R1 was on the Nebulizer for sometime too. Then he moved to the puffer, which the pediac claims gives betta absorption of the medication. I know everyone says there is no cure for asthma (spelling?) but we stuck to the medication and prayers, and R1 went for a lung function test at about 4 where he has pronouced 100% ok. So now he is on one puff a day with a view to cut off totally soon. PRAISE GOD! I will be praying for similar healing for Mighty Mo. Hang in there!

Papa Tweet said...

Wow, a rock star and a medal. Next time I see you I'm getting an autograph. Seriously, you have worked so hard for all you have. COngratulations on your recent success. It couldn't happen to a better more deserving person. Keep it up Comm.
Your friend
Benny

Rainbow said...

I can only hope for a podium finish myself in tri. That is fabulous! Can't wait to see the race pic.

CONGRATS!

Flatman said...

You are definitely a rock star in my book! Nice medal!