Monday, March 6, 2006

ETW Recap

Epic Training Weekend was a huge success. As a peak performance training block capping my No Limits Challenge I not only performed to my expectations but exceeded in some areas. We had new faces out there on the course thanks to the launching of our triathlon club website; one local, one from New Mexico, one from San Deigo and one from Glendale, which is technically the westside of Phoenix but might as well have a Palm Springs zip code.

Friday was John, his brother Dan from SD and The Good Doctor, who henceforth is known simply as The Machine. We met at Canyon Lake and swam along the beach for roughly 1.7 miles. For those of you who think that is too cold to swim, I confess with a 3mm cap it is quite comfortable after the initial shock. I set no speed record but completed the swim in 1:18, which when using Blog de Phil's excellent training calculators equals an IM swim finish just under an two hours.

Saturday was the true training peak. 0700 started with 8 intrepid souls swimming for distance. I swam 3,000 yards in 1:11. Didn't have to tack as much with a black line under me. Then we rode the IMAZ bike course for 3 loops. Due to a fun run taking over our normal staging area (IMAZ tranistion zone) we parked at a local park, which cut a couple miles off our course. I was still able to crank out 110 miles.

I had a great ride. I averaged 19.7 mph for the first 80 miles then hit some stiff wind which dropped me down to 17 mph for the last bit. In perspective when IronBenny and I rode the same course two weeks ago I was only averaging 18.3 mph for the first 80 miles.

I stopped and had my puke session right around mile 90. When I got off the bike for the run I was hurting. I was IMHO hydrated and sodiumed well, I think I really just had some GI issues, maybe the gatorade/carbpro mix I was living on.

The 4.5 run brick was a cruel joke on my system. I made it to 3 miles before another dry heave episode. Back at the truck, The Machine, already changed and waiting for me wanted to grab a burger but after watching me dry heave for another ten minutes he wisely decided to eat with his wife instead. I went home and boiled pasta in chicken broth and that was dinner. Well actually Mistress did the cooking, whole other story for you new folks reading this.

Felt much better Sunday. Two other guys I we rode with last summer came along for the ride. The wind was really blowing for the first 20 miles of the loop but the turnaround was strangely wind free so tore it up coming back. A quick transition into a 13.1 mile brick and I felt pretty good still. After all was said and done, after all the training in the previous 48 hours, I ran the half marathon in 2:25. I'll take that.

I think the best part of the whole weekend was the compliments I got from some of the other guys. Compliments on my riding improvement, compliments on my running and sticking through the puking to gut it out. I feel I crossed a critical line in IM training with this ETW.

I think I also made some improvements in my nutrition. Based on my ride with Benny and my ride Saturday I am removing Gatorade from my calorie bottles. Instead I am going to ride with just CarbPro/Water and a squirt of lemon juice in my bottles. I can get just as much bottle calories from the neutral CarbPro and can make up the electrolytes with nutritional supplements, I am already popping Succeed, adding a BCAA or other pill is no big deal.

Lessons learned from the edge of sanity.

11 comments:

IMmike said...

great weekend com. I love reading about people really pushing their limits (or finding out that there aren't any)

Flatman said...

Hey, it's not a good ride until somebody pukes...

Nice work.

Kona Shelley said...

Great job!!! I was wondering if you could answer some questions about IMAZ. I'm thinking of doing it next year and i'm wondering if you would be able to name a few hotel/motels/condos near the race site that I could look into booking?

jp said...

Terrific weekend of workouts. Epic certainly is the right word.

Have you tried Clif Shot Blox?
I used them for the first time on Sat and loved them. They taste really good, have the consistancy of a soft gummy bear, easy to digest. Each block/bite is 8 g of carbs...there are 6 to a package.

http://www.clifbar.com/eat/eat.cfm?location=shot&id=345

Comm's said...

Shelley, you can stay with my family if you want to save money. I am doing IMAZ next year. However I will put together a nice hotel package for you based on convienence, host hotels and any deals I can rangle with my contacts.

Jp- I have used the Cran-Raz for a couple months now and do perfer the Bloks to gels. I have some reservations on packaging and consistancy but overall think they are superior to any gel or gu.

Kona Shelley said...

Thanks Comm..let me know, I was just on expedia.ca and there are quite a few options...just have no idea, what's close to the race and stuff!! My hubby will be coming too..just the 2 of us..a nice get away..he can golf..:-)

Nancy Toby said...

Well done indeed! That sounds like some fabulous workouts and a lot of mental toughness and lessons learned, too. GREAT!!

tarheeltri said...

GReat job on a heck of a weekend! Getting your nutrition down this early is going to be a huge plus in your training!

mipper said...

GREAT JOB Comm. i would have for sure packed it in after teh first set of puking/dry heaves. you are the man!

Kewl Nitrox said...

Wow... what a way to push limits! I am humbled...

Bolder said...

outstanding! simply outstanding.