Monday, March 13, 2006

Blue Seventy

Ironman wetsuits have changed their name to Blue Seventy to come in line with the new WTC mandate to call half ironmans, 70.3. I can really give a rip about the name change, I don't think its really necessary but hey I'm not a marketing guru.

In any regards, I was surfing Trisports.com and they now have the new suits for sale. Holy crap their flagship model, Helix, is expensive. 500 clams. I have an Ironman Stealth suit and only paid $329. I really think its the exact same suit. I can't tell if they are planning on selling off of two brands, Blue Seventy and Ironman until the Ironman stock is gone and then which over 100% to Blue Seventy or carry on with both labels.

My training partner, Hardcore, just picked up a new Pro-Motion wetsuit for only $239 and he liked it better than the older model Ironman that the airlines lost along with all his luggage last month. He says he feels more buoyant in it. I liked that it had some eye catching colors and the ankles have a three inch zipper to ease getting in and out.


A last shout out to my good tri buddy Nytro. I bet she didn't know that there is a triathlon website at the address, www.nytro.com? Hey you holding out on me and Iron(hubby)Benny?

5 comments:

Phil said...

Hey Comm... catching up after a long hiatus!

I'm guessing the name change is borne out of financial considerations. The Ironman brand has grown considerably in the last 5 years, and licensing of it is probably far too expensive. ...I'm betting Timex will be following shortly... maybe introduce the Timex "Iron Distance" line of watches.

Comm's said...

Oh thats good Phil, I had not considered that. Your on to something.

jp said...

Last years Ironman wetsuits are a bargain right now as all the retailers clear out the inventory. I just picked up a Ironman Instinct fullsuit for 190 bucks.

tri-mama said...

Hey look, another place to spend money :) I like my Ironman suit-although it's the only one I've ever tried.

Fe-lady said...

yeah, I bought an IM wetsuit last year and it's been good. Maybe not really warm enough in COLD H20, but I have survived an Alcatraz swim in it, so I guess I should hang onto it for at least another year. I always feel as if there is something "better" out there...but ALWAYS more expensive!