Saturday, July 2, 2005

I will build it, they will come

In my garage, the best garage ever by the way, I have pictures to prove it, The Colonel (that's good ole dad) and I are building open facedlocker room cubbys for Mistress, Mighty Mo and myself. We might be a strange family, but we pretty much never use the front door. Its all about going through the garage. Usually we have our hands very full. In her case, a god awful pink purse (how do you women do that), a bag for used tuperware and odds and ends and some other type of bag full of stuff from a store. Me, oh well you know, work backpack, workout bag for running or biking, workout bag for swimming, usually another satchel or sack full of something coming back to the house. One of us will always be holding the Mighty Mo's backpack full of medicines, toys, diapers, all the stuff a two year needs. So short story long, lots of stuff.

The whole project started when I was recently reading my five year vision statement written in 2002. The scary thing is that my current house is almost identical to my vision and I haven't read the thing in two years, didn't even have it in mind when we moved to this home last year from the house I was happy with in Scottsdale.

I personally was getting tired of slugging bags into the house only to be bumrushed from Mighty Mo, who demands a pick up, and everything gets dropped on the floor, to which point it stays there until Mistress demands action or I am five minutes late out the door. Add a new puppy who would just love to get his little puppy teeth on my bags...and well you get the point.

The whole project started when I was reading my five year vision statement written in 2002. The scary thing is that my current house is almost identical to my vision and I haven't read the thing in two years, didn't even have it in mind when we moved to this home last year.

The cubbys, right back to the post, inbetween the double and single roll ups (3 car garage with extensions) I have a three foot wide gap that is perfect for these cubbys. Problem is that I have just under $6,000 in custom cabinetry surrounding the inside of my garage so whatever I do it can't look like crap or it throws the whole thing off. So The Colonel and I are building it ourselves, to save oh about a grand. We got mine 80% built and standing and most of Mistress and Mighty Mo's up, (there is a steel post in the way that we are building around). On Sunday we finish the seats and high shelves, set the roof, then apply the front facsades so the studs don't show. On the back, the last part going on, I am incorporating a full sheet of pegboard to hang hats, helmets, bike gear and tools, camelbacks, swim trunks, extra bags and such that normally just go wherever on the countertops. Plus installing a post to hang Lucille on so she is off the floor and I can work on her without bending over.

I will post some pictures when the project is completed. The downfall of this project is the absence of the long runs and bikes planned this weekend. I do have a uphill/downhill 5k race on Monday so the carpentry work gives me exercise and a taper (I gotta keep telling myself that) .


4 comments:

Bolder said...

6 large on cabinetry, and you're still improving it... can't wait to see those pics! that's awesome.

like that locker idea, i've always wanted to have like a high-end locker room in my house, like you get at the great fitness clubs or golf clubhouses.

i've been criticized at work as being opportunistic, like the idea of a 5 year plan both personally/professionally.

Wil said...

Hey, now that's just weird. We're (OK, Mr. Wil) is building bainets/lockers in our garage, too. Same front door thing here, we always use the garage. Can't wait for your pics!

Nancy Toby said...

Want to come over and do our utility room? PLEEEEEEEEZE!?!?

tri-mama said...

Commodore, a regular renaissance man, morning races, afternoon cabinetry building wow. Looking forward to the pics for ideas-any chance you're selling the blueprints? :)