Thursday, July 14, 2005

Further exploits of an eventual wannbe badwater runner

Badwater is the baddest solo running event around, not the Marathon de Sable. According to people who have run both the consensus is that Badwater is the king. But fear not intrepid wannabe ultra-distance people there is still hope for the ultra-endurance moniker to your name without all the consecutive mileage. Get a team together and do the Mojave Death Race. From their own website I captured the spirit of the race:

Welcome to our Race, we hope you survive it!
This is not another pretty 5 or 10 K race on
Sunday morning at the beach.
If you and your teammates are not up to an

Adventurous& Hazardous

Endurance Team Challenge
then go to that beach race and collect seashells.
Most athletes that take on this challenging event
will have more war stories and adventures to talk
about than they have friends who will listen!
We're gonna test you to see if you're a challenger or a wannabe!
If you enter the race and don't survive, don't
expect us to come looking for you.
Heck, if you go out in some spectacular fashion you might get
an honorable mention here on the web page...... maybe.

Some friends of mine did this a few months ago and loved it, they are very competitive and came in 4th place. Its a team run, mountain bike, road bike event. The legs for each section go from 6 to 42 miles. To read the first hand report from my friend Steve go here.

This might be something I do next summer as I have a clear schedule to train for IMFL after Wildflower in April. I was invited this year but I was negotiating with Mistress on IMFL at the time and thought if I mentioned Ironman and Death Race in the same sentence she might have cut off my head and buried it in a shallow grave. If there is enough interest with the triathlete alliance maybe we could get a crew together for 2006? Just a thought.

9 comments:

Flatman said...

Sounds very cool!

Chris said...

Running right? You might want to pawn me off on one of your opponents' teams so I can slow them down instead! ;) j/k...

It sounds like a cool race! I love that description: " If you enter the race and don't survive, don't expect us to come looking for you." Doesn't leave me with warm and fuzzies, but it's very cool nonetheless.

Wil said...

Heh! Chris said it! It sounds like a very cool race, reminds me of the Hell, Michigan 50-miler description. Funny how that kind of thing attracts people!

tarheeltri said...

Death Race, Hazardous, Survive... that makes me want to race it without even knowing what it is! Man, the stories that would come out of that!

Bolder said...

sounds like the human version of the arabian horse race 'Ocean of Fire' featured in the movie 'Hidalgo'!

from what i recall, many of the horses didn't make it -- and no one went looking for them.

count this cold-weather canadian, barely surviving in a 90F+ Boulder, as OUT!

Bolder said...

sounds like the human version of the arabian horse race 'Ocean of Fire' featured in the movie 'Hidalgo'!

from what i recall, many of the horses didn't make it -- and no one went looking for them.

count this cold-weather canadian, barely surviving in a 90F+ Boulder, as OUT!

Kona Shelley said...

I suck at running..and running long distances..heeeeeeeee

Kona Shelley said...

I suck at running..and running long distances..heeeeeeeee

Flabbyironman said...

I'd be there in an instant to compete on your team Commodore. Sounds like sadistic fun. But I'm always up for sadistic fun... just wait until tomorrow when I write about riding through a hailstorm tonight.