Thursday, April 10, 2008

Ironman Arizona 2008: schwag

What is an Ironman without schwag? My schwag exploits are legen...wait for it...dary. This year however I was a little bummed out. Not a very good showing; by them not by me, shoot I'd have spent four times what I did if the merchandise was there.

All I got this year was the poster (free), the orange cowbell, orange m-dot socks, couple of stickers, a race belt pouch and a gel flask. Also a 2XU tank top that I may wear on the run instead of my tri top. Still a good buy, if I don't.

The hand grenade by the way is mine, is real and is inert. A memento from my field work days.


Another disappointing year for the IMAZ colors too. Thankfully the solid dark chocolate panels of last year are gone but replaced by a milk chocolate and light gold Indian pattern this year. Is the constant Indian analogy on their AZ gear some caveat for riding through the reservation? Because let me tell you, Indian design is not such a big thing out here. Had the official colors been like the lime and orange with subtle browns like the poster, well ka-ching in my book.



6 comments:

Fumo Santo said...

Hey Comm, I was just down there this morning, but must have missed you. I too bought the 2XU, but I chose the shirt instead of the tank (I've never been a huge fan of the tank).

I agree with you, for a race this big, the schwag was just 'meh'.

Love the grenade btw. Quite the intimidating paper weight.

Iron Krista, "The Dog Mom" said...

Oh, that sucks. There is NOTHING better than Race schwag. Especially IM schwag!!

Kona Shelley said...

I heart the schwag...

S. Baboo said...

Man, I was hoping that they gave you the grenade to blow up their cheap schwag...what is in about the richest triathlon corp in the world that they give such stingy schwag bags? The cool stuff are the things you paid for.

Race well this weekend!

Fe-lady said...

Pull that grenade come race morning! Ka-pow!
Best of luck..I will be tracking your progress throughout the day!

momo said...

i bought a jersey at cda last year and i thought the same thing about the colors - yellow and green. i haven't worn it yet, though, because it clashes with malibu barbie.

which race is it that has pink schwag? i'm there.