Friday, April 25, 2008

The Good and The Bad

Good news.
I did not play paintball with my company. My hands were shaking and I was full of adrenaline but I didn't do it. I used to be a tourney player and would have just dominated with my own marker (gun) and gear; every game someone would ask me to be on their team. Oh well. I knew the owner of the indoor field from my time playing back then and it was good to catch up. He let me put on a shirt and ref. I took it slow out there.

SIDENOTE: In the following information, I am telling you this as I learn it. I think that we as individuals are more concerned about our health than any doctor who deals with dozens or hundreds of people on a daily basis and work on a reactive rather than preventative or active care plan. I have firmly believed that if a patient is not; hot, broken, red or swollen, a doctor has as much a guess as you do, except they see and hear the trends in their region and can order tests. As such the internet is a great way to inform yourself on test results and symptoms but I do not think that it can be used to self-diagnose.

I got my latest labs back and my blood looks normal. The one area of concern is my eGFR which is simply listed below normal. This is a test to determine kidney damage.

Bad News.
Out of nowhere my liver test came back horrible. In the hospital I did have acute kidney (renal) failure and liver failure but the doctors were much more concerned about the kidney issue. On the results I just got back for my liver it shows two high liver markers, ALT and AST, in my blood. Someone hand wrote discharged numbers next to the current ones.

The limits for AST are 0-45, I was discharged at 87 and one week later I am 86.

The limits for ALT are 0-55, I was discharged at 41 but one week later I am 275.

I have clipped the following (from HERE) for explanation

ALT and AST are enzymes made in the liver. They are also known as transaminases. The liver uses these enzymes to metabolize amino acids and to make proteins. When liver cells are damaged or dying, ALT and AST leak into the bloodstream. Many different things can cause liver enzymes to rise above normal levels, including:

  • Viral hepatitis
  • Excessive alcohol intake/Alcoholic liver disease
  • Liver inflammation from medications and certain herbs,
  • Auto-immune hepatitis - a condition where a person's immune system mistakes the liver for an invader and attacks it,
  • Fatty liver- fat build -up in liver cells, called steatohepatitis when the fatty liver is inflamed
  • Inherited liver diseases
  • Liver tumors
  • Heart failure

ALT (also called alanine aminotransferase or SGPT) is found in the liver only. High levels of ALT in the bloodstream mean that there may be liver inflammation and/or damage. This test cannot predict liver damage or disease progression. It is simply a direct measurement of the amount of ALT in the person's bloodstream at the time of the test. The normal range of ALT levels is between 5 IU/L to 60 IU/L (International Units per Liter). ALT levels in people with HCV often rise and fall over time, so additional testing such as HCV RNA, HCV genotyping and a liver biopsy may be needed to help determine the cause and extent of liver damage.

AST (also called aspartate aminotransferase or SGOT) is found in other organs besides the liver. High AST levels in the bloodstream can be a sign of liver trouble. AST testing measures the level of AST in a person's bloodstream at a given time. The normal range for AST levels in the bloodstream are 5 IU/L to 43 IU/L. Like ALT levels, AST levels in people with HCV often vary over time and can't be used to forecast disease progression or specifically measure liver damage.

I am directed to give another blood sample next week. They are also going to screen me for hepatitis. Words like that one and dialysis are common words that I read and see all the time but until this month couldn't tell you the how, or why, or what about them. I'm learning as you do.


Adding a Terrible Ugly


I just got off the phone with Big John while writing this post. His brother Dan, multiple IM finisher, including IMAZ this month, lives in San Diego and trains with the SD Tri team. He bailed on his team OW workout this morning due to some drinking last night. His normal OW swim partner, Dave, decided to pair up with a first time OW team mate when he was attacked and killed by a Great White shark a few hours ago. Everyones head is spinning over this, especially the woman he was assisting who was right next to him. When you hear it on the news, know that he was a triathlete who was helping a team mate overcome a fear.

15 comments:

Brent Buckner said...

Good that you're managing yourself.

Hope bad news gets better.

Terribly ugly. Thanks for the context.

Jenny Davidson said...

Yes - what Brent said!

bunnygirl said...

I read the shark story on the AP newswire. Very upsetting. I know people who live and train out there and I'm waiting for them to check in if they knew the guy.

That sucks about your liver enzymes, but the good news is that with a clean diet, you can often manage that sort of thing. If you take any supplements that contain iron, back off for now unless a doctor familiar with your case tells you otherwise. My DH has hep c and we know the drill on this.

21stCenturyMom said...

I saw that shark story this morning and all I could think about was that my daugther was out there in the ocean off San Diego having a surfing lesson. She's fine, though.

That story is so, so sad and it's such a small world, isn't it? It seems like any triathlete could play 6 degrees of separation and never get more than 3 degrees away - which in no way makes the loss of this man's life any better. I'm just sad and blithering.

In other news - you are suffering exactly the same issue as my cat with regard to your liver. Thank goodness Mistress doesn't have to force mush in your mouth through a syringe.

The cat has this issue because she was very fat and then she was traumatized and quit eating for a couple days and her system got overwhelmed with lipids which made her liver shut down. She's getting better, though and I'm sure you will, too.

Nytro said...

omg! i read about that attack this morning! that is terrible!

oh, and you better done get your liver fixed. or you want i should come and rough you up a bit?

Mommymeepa said...

The whole family and SD Tri community is in my prayers at this time. Thank you for letting me know.

Melissa

LBTEPA said...

OMG Comm that's ALL very hard news to deal with. Prayers to you mate

Tea said...

My son is going to play paintball tomorrow. He's 14, and it's his first time. I hope the Pro's take it easy on him.

I wish I had words to express what I'm thinking. All I can say is that you are an amazing beacon of strength dealing with your health concerns.

momo said...

comm, i really appreciate you keeping us up to date on what is going on. we're thinking of you so often and don't want to bug you - so the updates are really helpful. know that all the momo's (me and the mr. and the kids) are pulling for you that this stuff gets worked out in a non-invasive fashion. please let us know if there is anything we can do.

regarding the shark attack.... its awful. i've surfed there and i'm telling you it makes me really nervous, really really nervous, to get back in that water. sending up prayers for the family of the man killed, and for those who witnessed it. that had to be awful.

Molly said...

I (like most) heard about the attack on the news...sorry that it hits so close to home for you!
I will continue to think of you and the family!
Keep Takin Care of you!

Di said...

Thank you again for the updates. We all take so much for granted don't we?
Keep working on getting stronger and setting those nasty numbers right.
Like everyone, I was so sad to hear about the shark attack. His family and friends are going to need all the support they can get.

Take care of your self Comm ;)

Mommymeepa said...

Comm, praying for you today. Hang in there with all this medical stuff and do what they tell you for Pete's sake. I've always wondered who Pete is and why we are doing it for his sake. :-)

kt said...

Comm, Thanks for the updates. I am with Di, it is amazing how much we take for granted. My prayers go out to the friends and family in SD.

Tea said...

Update: my son came home today informing me that he was going to buy a paintball gun.

At least,I was warned.

ShirleyPerly said...

A few years back, my husband was diagnosed with non-alcoholic hepatitis, the result of too much (work-related) stress. With Rx drugs, he's able to manage it well but no drinking.

Very sad about the fatal shark attack :-(