Monday, March 31, 2008

Back to business

Well as many of you know, I did not make the final three of the current EVOTRI contest. Thank you for those of you who left me a comment or call. While I am of course a little bummed about that, it's really easy for me put it aside when an Ironman looms only two weeks away.

On Saturday morning I rode a little over 50 miles at 20.3 mph, 96 cadence and average HR of 142. Everything just seemed to click and man that would be so awesome to repeat that on race day and come in around 6 hours on the bike, which is my goal. It will come down to the wind on the course I am sure. I bricked with a 2 mile run with a 8:30 pace. Again felt good but pace and HR were well over my IM goals.

Sunday I swam with the team at Canyon lake for four laps. Thats about 2 miles and took 80 minutes. Four laps used to be IM distance, (1,000 per lap) however since they have refilled the lake I would say it is now short by a little over 100 per lap. I'll have to get my range finder on the buoys this week. My swims have improved a lot and instead of being left in the wake I actually stayed within 50- 75 yards of the guy in front of me the whole way. Another run brick followed and ran a very hilly 5 miles. In the past I would walk a least a portion of the hardest part, a 1.3 mile switchbacked road but this time did not.

I really needed this weekend to build my confidence after all the training I feel I have missed. Every day the race gets closer I seem to feel equally confident and uncertain about different parts of it. One day I feel great about my run and insecure about my swim. The next day vice versa and then also fret about the wind on the bike. Or the heat or the sun. Or my nutrition on the bike, or if I'll wear my cap or my visor, or how to pack my gels, use imodium or pepto when I haven't used either in training, and on and on.

It's Ironman season, bring it on.

15 comments:

Bolder said...

and, your bidness is IRON!

looking forward to seeing you race, but, as always, just looking forward to seeing you do your uncommon man thing.

you are an inspiration.

21stCenturyMom said...

So bummed about evoTri. I'm happy for my friend Boomer but I wish you were there, too.

Every day the race gets closer I seem to feel equally confident and uncertain about different parts of it.

That sounds exactly right - you are ready!

momo said...

i'm sorry about the evotri thing, comm. bummer.

i want to average over 20 on my bike!! so jealous! with times like you are cranking out - imaz is going to be a fantastic race.

i'm already doing my no-wind dance! :-)

Nancy Toby said...

I'm cheering for you, Comm! All the best to you in capping off your training for a strong, HEALTHY Ironman!

Rainbow said...

I was a votin' and hopin' for you. Sad you didn't make it. I will be cheering for you on race day. Hopefully we will see you.

Wil said...

As always it's an honor to know you Com. All downhill from here :)

Rainbow said...

I was a votin' and hopin' for you. Sad you didn't make it. I will be cheering for you on race day. Hopefully we will see you.

Wil said...

As always it's an honor to know you Com. All downhill from here :)

M said...

I am right there with you on the any-given-day frettings. But the reality is, you've been there before and know what you need to put out on that course, so even one day of confidence has to say something about your fitness.

My Evotri comment? In short, its BS. There was no one in that group that deserved it more than you, both the first round and now this one. They lost. Huge.

tri-mama said...

good things come to those that wait brother. I'm sorry you didn't get the spot, but you offer a ton to this community and to me every time we have contact- you don't need to be riding a tricked out bike to do that- best of all wishes for you at Ironman-looking forward to your report and enjoy the taper!

Bullet said...

Nice workout. Keep it up

Bigun said...

Comms - with 12 days to go, it's all about your brainpan at this point. Force yourself into confidence, brotha - 'cause you are all over this! You only have 3 things to worry about now - Pace, Fuel and Attitude. All else is out of your hands. Have FUN out there!

Lance Notstrong said...

Great bike ride!!!

Nytro said...

i think that you're right on track... just try to stay healthy for the next few days and you'll be fine.

oh, and you were ROBBED, btw. ROBBED.

TriCajun said...

Best of luck to you, Comm.