Sunday, March 2, 2008

Didn't Happen Part 2

After re-reading my post about not making the EvoTri team yesterday, I realize its pretty abrupt. That happens when I write a post after being up for 30 hours straight confined to a SUV for all of it except for 18 miles of running, little food, no sleep and using my blackberry to text it together during spotty cell coverage on the side of a freeway.

I want to make it clear that I am disappointed in not making the team this round for a lot of reasons; one of them because I put a lot of effort and work into it and I feel I personally crossed some boundaries asking people to vote for me. I was outside my comfort zone, but I understand this was a hard fought contest and that is the name of the game. I certainly want to be on this team. I am determined to continue my campaign with however a bit more concern over my personal racing goals, like say an Ironman five weeks away.

I think almost exclusively we see and equate sponsored teams with the likes Tri-Dubai, or U.S. Postal or Discovery. The vast majority of sponsorships we can recognize are for teams that have the marketing plan, and its a good one, that we need to equip the best athletes with the best gear and have them win and place not only continuously but specifically at world championship level. I really get behind the EvoTri idea because they realize that more people buy from word of mouth than from Triathlete magazine.

No matter how much an article touts a item or brand, and how much you want it without even seeing it, if someone you know has tried it and they say, "It sucks." You sour and it becomes 'want' number 27 instead of number 1 or 2. And chances are you won't buy it.

Today is a sports world of EPO, blood doping and steroids, elite athletes as a group are losing their credibility. Some unfairly to be sure. Age Group marketing is going to morph and EvoTri is on the cusp of it, leading the way. Inclusion not elitism will dominate the marketing scheme over the next several years and if EvoTri fails, the whole thing might fail. Thats why I want to be on this team. I don't want it to fail, but flourish.

2 comments:

Ellie Hamilton said...

Well, you sure gave it a shot. You're deserving, for sure. But EvoTri is not your only connection... you give back in so many ways.

Lana said...

Dammit. You were the best, Comm. Dammit. That's all I know to say about it.


Hope you guys are doing better - especially Mo - I've been thinking about you all!