Tuesday, March 18, 2008

From nothing, something

Had a great century ride over the weekend, letting me know that if the weather is good on race day I should go sub-6 hours on the bike. The next day while out running in the desert, I had to make a quick ditch to the side of the dirt road to avoid a vehicle and torqued my knee. It ended my run early and I have been rehabbing it since. I think I just hyper-extended something behind the knee as nothing towards the front is painful. I have no doubt it will be 100% in a few days.

I don't think I have made a right move yet in this second member EvoTri vote process, but as always I am optimistic. I have been thinking about what I'd say if I'm one of the three EvoTri contestants getting called Saturday. I have had literally a couple dozen ideas I have mulled over but nothing is completely new and nothing has really stuck.

I already work with school aged kids in a triathlon clinic, they graduate by doing a local kids tri. I co-founded a large triathlon team that is non-profit and create new triathletes each year. My occupation speaks for itself if you know what it is. It also runs the largest food drive in Phoenix during Christmas, feeding 50,000 people. Its built new gyms in churches and halfway houses and rehabilitation centers all over the west coast. Because when someone is in their deepest despair, hit the absolute rock bottom only two things can bring them back to society, God and exercising discipline over the mind and body.

This is just who I am. A Fitness Evangelist. I am always preaching health. I am always encouraging exercise. Bringing people to a better relationship with God and their body.

But. But I was talking to a Soul Brutha last night on the way home. A friend who has shared some of my funnest moments in triathlon. A true friend. At the end of the call we provided each other no more clarity on my "Big Idea", but later on while contemplating our talk I kept mulling over some of his words and it finally came to me.

I now have my "Big Idea". My concept for how to increase participation in triathlon and/or exercise and spotlight the team and it's sponsors. It could be awesome and completely new in the entire world of triathlon. One way or the other, we all find out this weekend.

4 comments:

stronger said...

Interesting. Can't wait to hear about your big idea.

momo said...

i'm looking forward to hearing about it, comm!

ShirleyPerly said...

Great that you now have your "Big Idea"! I've had one for a while but have been mostly worried about whether I'd get enough votes to pitch it. We'll see on Saturday. Again, good luck!!

J~Mom said...

Sounds great!!