Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Nuggets of correction

I went to an OW swim session last night with my swim coach's training group. Many of these people are nowhere near training at the IM level, or completed an IM. Most are just acclimatizing to their base training at this point, looking forward to sprints and Oly's and getting used to OW swimming. That being said I was not the fastest person there, nor did I put on any airs though I did get some comments on my M-Dot tattoo.

I only knew of myself doing more than 30 minutes of swimming and didn't want to finish as the last one in the water. I was heading down to the cove from the parking lot as he gathered his people to him for a quick talk, when he flagged me down to join them. I am glad that I did.

He went over some basic OW swimming techniques and philosophies; practical application stuff applicable to any level. In the Q&A, he demonstrated just basic stroke technique in a wet suit and how it feels different that without one. To me it looked so much better than my own stroke, and he was just doing it conversationally.

As we broke and made way to the water, I focused on one thing he told us about effort in OW, "You don't control your breathing by your stroke, you control it by your hips." As I worked myself out there and began my 3 loops of .4 miles each, I really reacted to that statement. Often I try to smooth myself out by going Distance Per Stroke, reaching farther away like trying to grab an apple from a tree, not shortening my stroke. This time I focused on rocking my hips and it all seemed to be so much easier to breath and move.

No one is too good to not learn a lesson, God knows I know that. I could have blocked out a very basic newbie orientation to OW and concentrated on what I wanted to work on out there, I am glad I did not.

In the end I did the half iron distance swim pretty relaxed and in 45 minutes, rolling my hips and bi-lateral breathing the whole time. My swim line was straight along the ten buoy square course. The exact pace and feeling I want for IMAZ next month. No I was not the fastest out there and never will be. But I hit an important marker in my triathlon career last night and feels good.

8 comments:

Formulaic said...

Good job on your swim! Sounds like everything is coming along nicely, despite lives obstacles.

Way to prevail.

Wendy said...

Excellent!

LBTEPA said...

Nice :)

Hope you and Mistress are feeling a bit refreshed now and Mo continues to improve

kodiacbear said...

Good Post, Commodore-yes, we are never too old to learn something new everyday.

J~Mom said...

I have to get to one of the OWS before Tempe International Tri! Sounds like a fantastic workout and way to learn new things!

greyhound said...

Yeah, the whole putting on airs thing. I'm not nearly quick enough for that nonsense. In fact, I try to keep my mdot covered if I'm working out with folks I don't know.

Iron Krista, "The Dog Mom" said...

sounds like a fantastic swim. What lake are you swimming in now? How's the water temp? My masters group is heading to Saguaro on Saturday.. if I'm feeling well I might go..

TriCajun said...

Great post. Love your site.