Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Its all in my head...

Something has stuck in my head since I watched the American Gladiator tryouts last month. Am I an athlete? or perhaps more apt, Am I athletic?

I have an appropriate athletic build, although three years later I still look more like a weight lifter than endurance freak. I don't however have the fundamental background in athletics. Spending most of my life in the gym really isn't athletic, general exercise is a lifestyle trait that everyone should have. Not everyone is an athlete though. I haven't played football or baseball or team sports since my car accident twenty years ago, so there goes the team component. I am not fast or have great balance or superior coordination. I am mediocre riding up hills and have one speed in the water. Generally speaking my form is more laughable than laudable.

But I think to myself, c'mon, I've done Ironman's and marathons and century rides and can swim miles at a time. I've done bodybuilding competitions and powerlifting contests. I spent a lot of time on obstacle courses and confidence courses in the military not to mention all the other running, hiking and rock climbing I have done. Thats athletic isn't it?

I think what might make me an athlete more than any other discernible trait is my determination. I have always said that I am more like a tank than anything else. Just point me in the right direction and I will eventually get there. Yeah I might throw a few treads and bounce off a few trees and show up a lot more worse than the wear. But I am determined to finish something. That might be more important that talent or speed or strength.

I have met a lot of people full of speed or skill or some other tremendous talent and yet they take it all for granted and blow up their life, wasting their gift. I guess because every normal step today is more credit than any doctor gave me when I was in recovery, I look at what I can do as a blessing.

So I may not be able to dodge the dodgeballs or dunk or go 3 for 5 against a good pitcher or throw a tight spiral or do 25 pull ups, or run a 4.8 forty or swim a 1:25 hundred or average a seven minute mile or hit a golf ball straight or bowl over 200 or do a back flip off a diving board. But how many people can say they have finished a marathon or Ironman or carried a 110 pound rucksack for miles and days on end?

So I guess that I while I don't feel athletic when I see athletes, I certainly am one. Its just that instead of having the proto-typical athletes body I have the athletes mindset.

Charlie Mike (Continue the Mission)

6 comments:

Spokane Al said...

I would suggest that as well as the mind, more importantly you have the heart of an athlete. And that is what really counts.

Jenny Davidson said...

Yep, what Al said...

Comm's said...

Damn you Al!!!!!!!!!

I now need to add 'well-thought-out-writer" to my list of things I am not very good at.

Khan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kodiacbear said...

...But I am determined to finish something. That might be more important that talent or speed or strength...

Not a lot can say that!

ShirleyPerly said...

From Merriam-Webster online, an athlete is "a person who is trained or skilled in exercises, sports, or games requiring physical strength, agility, or stamina."

I don't see any mention of appearance in there. I think it's all in your head. And though some may disagree, I think even John Daly is an athlete.

Brent Buckner said...

I usually think of athletic orientations: recreation orientation, competition orientation, and achievement orientation.